Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drilling Ironwood (Eepay?)

Customer of mine wants to drill it with my machines on a production basis.
I have no problems with metals so I know we can do it, but I need to know
how it drills... Do I need to peck often like some of the gummy woods, do
the chips come off well or do they stick, is it a dust hazard, etc.

Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

At present, I'm treating it like a VERY hard OAK. Maybe twice as hard as
typical hardwoods...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Customer of mine wants to drill it with my machines on a production basis.
I have no problems with metals so I know we can do it, but I need to know
how it drills... Do I need to peck often like some of the gummy woods, do
the chips come off well or do they stick, is it a dust hazard, etc.

Joe, Ipe oddly enough drills beautifilly. It really is no challenge for a
sharp bit and the typical hand drill. I get a little sticking but I do with
Oak also when using lower speefd. They do no stick badly enough that they
are hard to remove. Typically a tap from the side dislodges the chips.
Dust is not much of a concern so much as planing Ipe.

Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

For drilling you should not seen any suprises.

At present, I'm treating it like a VERY hard OAK. Maybe twice as hard as
typical hardwoods...

IIRC 3 times harder than Oak.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe, Ipe oddly enough drills beautifilly. It really is no challenge for a
sharp bit and the typical hand drill. I get a little sticking but I do
with Oak also when using lower speefd. They do no stick badly enough that
they are hard to remove. Typically a tap from the side dislodges the
chips. Dust is not much of a concern so much as planing Ipe.

Good info. Thank you.

For drilling you should not seen any suprises.

Good news. Thank you...

At present, I'm treating it like a VERY hard OAK. Maybe twice as hard as
typical hardwoods...

IIRC 3 times harder than Oak.

Okay. Thank you. Hard usually means the chips clear the bit better in deep
holes (i.e. don't stick as soft woods are often wetter). However, dry soft
woods are the easiest we've run across by far. Since I can do 3/4" in
stainless steel, I think we should be able to handle this.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
woods, do
the chips come off well or do they stick, is it a dust hazard, etc.

Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

At present, I'm treating it like a VERY hard OAK. Maybe twice as hard as
typical hardwoods...

Mesquite wood also behaves this way at times.

My Dad simply sharpened the correct size drill with a tip like a wood
bit. That is a sharp pointed tip that curved to the outside and had a
ridge like a wood bit. (Best explanation I have). Before this the drill
bit simply burned away as fast as it was forced into the wood.
Do use a carbide tipped drill.

He was able to do this until his eyesight failed and was not able to
even locate the grinder.

Rock Drilling Tools [email protected] Woodworking 1 August 18th 06 04:29 PM
Rock drilling tools--quarrying, mining, water well drilling equipment [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 15th 06 07:52 AM
Using twist drill in magnetic drilling machine? Christopher Tidy Metalworking 12 August 23rd 05 06:24 AM
Drilling floor tiles TonyK UK diy 5 January 28th 05 11:22 PM
Drilling through a steel pipe. Harold & Susan Vordos Metalworking 3 October 1st 03 06:24 PM