Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

Default What was I thinking?

The plan is to add an island to the kitchen. We moved in a year ago, and
the woman who sold us the house had the kitchen and bathrooms "renovated",
and we wish she hadn't. I won't even start to go into the workmanship, like
PVC window moulding in the bathrooms nailed right into the window frames
such that they wouldn't open, poorly tiled floors that don't even cover to
old tile in some spots, and three, count 'em, three layers of flooring in
the livingroom, complete with a step up from the surrounding rooms. Great
house, **** poor renos.
Anyway, as we're not ready to plan our ultimate kitchen, I figured I'd take
the easy way out and buy a pair of cabinets from HD, make my own doors and
back and sides, and Bob's your uncle. Yeah, I could build much better
cabinets, but I just didn't feel like fussing with all the drawers and
hardware before we decided on the long-term plan.
So I brung home a pair of Millspride cabinets, and started putting one
together. Oh mama, what a total piece of crapola! Three of the little
knockdown connectors (you know, those little slotted spool and pin combos)
wouldn't engage because the holes for the pins were too deep, and when the
frame was finally assembled, well, it would have been more solid if it were
made out of Kleenex.
I cursed and yelled Homer Simpson style, and then proceeded to tear it down
again and try to stuff it back into the box. They're going back tonight.
Millspride? Mr. Mill doesn't have very high standards if he's proud of this.

Can't wait to start cutting wood tonight....

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo