mooseshoes

Default Thinking About Replacing Tires At Home

All:

My car needs 4 new tires and I know I can save a bunch of dough if I buy
new tires online and replace them myself, however, I've never done this
before and I'm curious if others have and if so, if they can either:

a) recommend against doing it myself; or
b) tell me that it is a good idea and suggest where I might learn more on
how to do it.

I've done some preliminary research on the subject and I haven't found the
definitive set of instructions yet.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Steve
SQLit

"mooseshoes" wrote in message
om...

All:

My car needs 4 new tires and I know I can save a bunch of dough if I buy
new tires online and replace them myself, however, I've never done this
before and I'm curious if others have and if so, if they can either:

a) recommend against doing it myself; or
b) tell me that it is a good idea and suggest where I might learn more on
how to do it.

I've done some preliminary research on the subject and I haven't found the
definitive set of instructions yet.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Steve

The real trick to new tires is the balancing once the new ones treads are
on. My brother ordered a set of tires off the web for his Honda and then
when they were delivered marched down to the local tire dealer and paid them
to mount and balance. Still cheaper and done right.

I-zheet M'drurz

mooseshoes wrote:

(Smartass sarcastic modes OFF, I swear!)

My car needs 4 new tires and I know I can save a bunch of dough
if I buy new tires online

Dood -- *online*??? As in "I'm going to pay shipping charges
for tires" ???

I've done some preliminary research on the subject and I haven't
found the definitive set of instructions yet.

That's likely 'cause to do it without killing yourself in the
process, either literally (from a flying tire iron or exploding
tire) or figuratively (physically wearing yourself out) it
takes some tools and know how. People hesitate to give you
directions for a procedure that can put you in the hospital.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Buy them at WalMart, let them mount and balance them for you.
There's no way it can cost you substantially more than your
shipping costs & risk to life and limb.

--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.
Grandpa Koca

mooseshoes wrote:
All:

My car needs 4 new tires and I know I can save a bunch of dough if I buy
new tires online and replace them myself, however, I've never done this
before and I'm curious if others have and if so, if they can either:

a) recommend against doing it myself; or
b) tell me that it is a good idea and suggest where I might learn more on
how to do it.

I've done some preliminary research on the subject and I haven't found the
definitive set of instructions yet.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Steve

Yeah, do it all the time. Love the free shipping deal when its
available. Take them down to the local tire shop; check around and
you'll find someone to mount and balance the whole set for less than
$50. You can't buy the tools necessary to safely do the job for that
price, and they'll dispose of your old carcasses too.

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

David

"mooseshoes" wrote in message
om...

All:

My car needs 4 new tires and I know I can save a bunch of dough if I buy
new tires online and replace them myself, however, I've never done this
before and I'm curious if others have and if so, if they can either:

a) recommend against doing it myself; or
b) tell me that it is a good idea and suggest where I might learn more on
how to do it.

I've done some preliminary research on the subject and I haven't found the
definitive set of instructions yet.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Steve

The mail order tire stores will ship the tires to a dealer they have an
agreement with to install the tires. You can find this information on the
tire store's web site. I've ordered several sets of tires from Tire Rack and
have had them sent to installers on their list and to installers not on
their list. Of course, you would have to have an agreement in place to ship
to an installer not on the tire store's list.

As far as price goes, I've almost always found the online prices to be
better than the walk in stores. You have to pay shipping, but do not have to
pay sales tax. I did get a store to match the Tire Rack price, but they
didn't have the tires in stock, so I had to pay shipping and sales tax. If
they had had the tires in stock, I would have had to pay only sales tax plus
the matching price. Still, it was a good deal.

Check tirerack.com.

David

George E. Cawthon

mooseshoes wrote:

All:

My car needs 4 new tires and I know I can save a bunch of dough if I buy
new tires online and replace them myself, however, I've never done this
before and I'm curious if others have and if so, if they can either:

a) recommend against doing it myself; or
b) tell me that it is a good idea and suggest where I might learn more on
how to do it.

I've done some preliminary research on the subject and I haven't found the
definitive set of instructions yet.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Steve

They make non powered tools for that, you just need to use a lot more
muscle and lots of slippery gooh so that you don't damage the tires
when you mount them. Don't know if you can save money or not by the
time you buy the tools and then find out that your vehicle needs
dynamically balanced tires. If you have a good nationwide or area
wide outfit like Les Schwab in the northwest, you get free flat
repair, free rebalancing, free rotation, minor cost for road hazard
insurance, and no effort.
DaddyMonkey

ya gotta be kidding us, right?

(please see last paragraph for my true comment... otherwise, please
read full post for tire removal/installation)

The tuff-est part of removing a tire is whats called "breaking the
bead"... that's where the tire meets the rim/wheel. With the wheel off
of the car,and laying down flat on its side, downward force has to be
pressed on the tire near the rim (bead).
There are TWO beads per tire, inboard and outboard. I give you my best
wishes!
Do you see where I'm going with this?
NO? --- okay

After that you'll need help.
Insert a prybar between the rim and tire and pull the tire over the rim.
A SECOND prybar will be needed to do the same.
One person holds the first prybar as the second person whales on the
first prybar with a big ole' hammer and 'works' it all the way around
the rim. Your gonna have to do this 8 times. (4wheels X 2 beads=8)
Do you see where I'm going with this?
NO?-- okay...

You should replace the valve stems because they're cheap insurance for
leakage. There's a special tool that 'threads' onto the valve stem that
pulls the old stem out, and installs it the same way. It cost about
20-25 bucks.
If you don't have one of these special tools, you can cut the old stem
off with a razor/knife from inside of the rim area.
Just cut the 'fat' part of the old stem on the inside of the rim as
close as possible.
But, re-installing the new stem will be the trick... because your going
to have to use a pair of pliers, or something to pull the new stem
through the hole WITHOUT damaging the new stem. Cutting it will mean
certain air pressure loss, and soon, tire failure.
Do you see where I'm going with this?
NO? -- okay

NOW is the time you've been waiting for... installing the new tires.
I'm not sure of your vehicles age, but sometimes cleaning the rim where
the bead of the tire meets the rim is good insurance too... use a stiff
wire brush.
Clean it all the way around (4 rims x 2beads = 8) There is also a
chemical called "bead sealer" that will help insure the bond between
tire and rim.

Installation is about the same as removal. Two people, two pry-bars, big
hammer... BUT WAIT!... you're going to need some rubber lubricate...
liquid soap will work just fine. Spread it all around the new tires
bead. There's usually a small dot on the outside of the tire...
sometimes red, yellow or white. Align that 'dot' with the the valve
stem. Good luck and my best wishes!
Do you see where I'm going with this?
NO? -- okay

Assuming you now have your new tires installed on the rims, without
totally destroying them, how are you going to inflate them?
I have seen rock-crawlers and artic guys inflate tires by spraying
starter-fluid inbetween the bead and rim, and then "flicking-there-Bic"
--BOOM!--
(I didn't say this .... Don't try this at home kids, but a man's gotta
do what a man's gotta do, I guess).
Do you see where I'm going with this?
NO? --- okay

Then you have to balance the wheel assembly. Again my best wishes.
There IS a special tool that rest on a pendulum, with a bubble gauge
much like a carpenters' level. You place your wheel assembly on-top of
the balancer, and then 'tack' wheel weight onto the side that the 'air
bubble' is on... it cost a few hundred (US) dollars and is VERY
primitive.
Do you se where I'm going with this?
NO? -- okay

With all of the modern technology present today... paying an automotive
technician
fifty- bucks to mount and balance your wheels is very, very cheap!

RVerDon

Buy them at WalMart, let them mount and balance them for you.
There's no way it can cost you substantially more than your
shipping costs & risk to life and limb.

Not only that but if you have any problems with the tires you can go to any
WalMart store for an adjustment. I replaced the tires on my Jeep, which I
tow behind my motorhome, in California. One of the tires went bad in North
Carolina on a trip. Went to the nearest WalMart store and they replaced the
tire and charged me $1.95. I didn't even have the invoice with me. All the
information is in their computer.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

Harry K

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message ...
mooseshoes wrote:

[...]

Yep. I use Schwabbies and have since they opened a local shop. For
the services you get I will pay the little extra over on-line and
avoid all the hassles. They have even fixed flats for me on tires I
never bought from them. Just changed PU winter tires last year as
they were -way- down. They checked the puter and gave a rebate for
warranty on them.

Harry K

Not only that but if you have any problems with the tires you can go to any
WalMart store for an adjustment. I replaced the tires on my Jeep, which I
tow behind my motorhome, in California. One of the tires went bad in North
Carolina on a trip. Went to the nearest WalMart store and they replaced the
tire and charged me $1.95. I didn't even have the invoice with me. All the
information is in their computer.

My problem with Walmart is the local one didn't carry
some of the tire brand/models I wanted

Can Walmart order ANY tire you want if they don't
normally carry it?

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
mooseshoes wrote:

All:

My car needs 4 new tires and I know I can save a bunch of dough if I buy
new tires online and replace them myself, however, I've never done this
before and I'm curious if others have and if so, if they can either:

a) recommend against doing it myself; or
b) tell me that it is a good idea and suggest where I might learn more on
how to do it.

I've done some preliminary research on the subject and I haven't found the
definitive set of instructions yet.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Steve

Have you ever changed a bicycle or motorcycle tire by hand? If you
don't mind hard, frustrating work and busting a few knuckles, it is
possible to remove & mount a car tire using only a set of tire irons
and something to hold the rim, but I can't imagine why anyone would
want to. And you would still need to have the wheels balanced
afterwards, though you could use soemthing like "EQUALS" instead of
conventional wheel weights. For the $10 or whatever a tire dealer
charges for mounting & balancing, it's really not worth doing it
yourself, unless you have access to the same equipment a tire shop
has. I wouldn't be so sure you could get a better price online,
either, especially after shipping & handling is added.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Joe Fabeitz

This hole "tire balancing" routine is another scam! Most tires today are
made to a higher standard than "in the old days". Buy 'em on the web, mount
'em yourself and to hell with balancing. I put new rubber on my "75 Caddie"
every few years and it runs like top. Maybe a little wobble at certain
speeds, so I avoid those speeds, but faster or slower is OK. Save your
money.

m...

mooseshoes wrote:

[...]

TURTLE

"mooseshoes" wrote in message
om...

All:

My car needs 4 new tires and I know I can save a bunch of dough if I buy
new tires online and replace them myself, however, I've never done this
before and I'm curious if others have and if so, if they can either:

a) recommend against doing it myself; or
b) tell me that it is a good idea and suggest where I might learn more on
how to do it.

I've done some preliminary research on the subject and I haven't found the
definitive set of instructions yet.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Steve

This is Turtle.

You just picked a money saver ideal that calls for a lot of work and very little
savings. You would have to have a lot of tire trouble to justify doing it
yourself. Also if you do it yourself you will not spin balance your tires and
that alone will get you to change a bunch of tires with low mileage on them. My
local tire place competes with any internet tire places as most do. They charge
$5.00 to pull tire and break it down and fix leaks, $7.50 to put on any new or
old tires and spin balance it , and $235.00 put on 4 Cooper Truck tires
R-225-16" / 6 ply , spin balanced and put on. Car tires are cheaper with 4
Cooper R-185-14" 4 ply , spin balanced and put on for $145.00.

To get the quality of the spin balancing and machine installation with no rips
in the tires will get you for about $2,000.00.

TURTLE

JerryL

"Joe Fabeitz" wrote in message
.. .
This hole "tire balancing" routine is another scam! Most tires today are
made to a higher standard than "in the old days". Buy 'em on the web,
mount
'em yourself and to hell with balancing. I put new rubber on my "75
Caddie"
every few years and it runs like top. Maybe a little wobble at certain
speeds, so I avoid those speeds, but faster or slower is OK. Save your
money.

An out of balance tire will wear unevenly besides causing a vibration
throughout the car at certain speeds.

Yep. I use Schwabbies and have since they opened a local shop.

What is Schwabbies?

Im starting to get like you..... i.e. start buying
tires from same place I have them installed vs buying
online and having the shipped to me then hauling them
to installer.

In the past....Ive bought several sets of tires from
Tire Rack and had them installed locally.

But the last set i bought I just printed off what tire
rack wanted for the and took to local dealer and asked
if he would match the price if I bought from him.

He agreed so i bought a set thru him and had him
install them.

Chet Hayes

mooseshoes wrote:

[...]

There are a lot of repairs the average person can do by themselves and
save a lot of money, but mounting tires sure isn't one of them. Plus,
even if you mount them, which is a bitch, you can't spin balance them.
If you buy them online, Tirerack has a list of installers throughout
the US that they will drop ship them to and they will install them for
a reasonable fee.
DaddyMonkey

Chet is right-on-the-money!

What are you gonna do if you screw-up your tires when installing them?

Please pay a tire company to install your tires.... they have insurance,
and proper equipment.
If you screw-up your new tires, you have to eat it.

Regards,
Dave

I-zheet M'drurz

No-name twit wrote:

My problem with Walmart is the local one didn't carry
some of the tire brand/models I wanted

Can Walmart order ANY tire you want if they don't
normally carry it?

Geez. You have a hangup about what brands of tire you put on
your car? Never mind. Pay your shipping charges and break your
neck trying to mount them on the rims. You deserve it, idiot.

--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.
Use all your well-learned politesse,
or I'll lay your soul to waste.
Charles Spitzer

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
No-name twit wrote:

My problem with Walmart is the local one didn't carry
some of the tire brand/models I wanted

Can Walmart order ANY tire you want if they don't
normally carry it?

Geez. You have a hangup about what brands of tire you put on
your car? Never mind. Pay your shipping charges and break your
neck trying to mount them on the rims. You deserve it, idiot.

well, actually yes. my car requires z rated ones, and when i to in to buy
racing tires, walmart doesn't carry them. so yes, the question as to whether
walmart will order the racing tires i need and just mount/balance them is
pertinent in some cases.

LARRY THE CABLE GUY

No-name twit wrote:

My problem with Walmart is the local one didn't carry
some of the tire brand/models I wanted

Can Walmart order ANY tire you want if they don't
normally carry it?

Geez. You have a hangup about what brands of tire you put on
your car? Never mind. Pay your shipping charges and break your
neck trying to mount them on the rims. You deserve it, idiot.

well, actually yes. my car requires z rated ones, and when i to in to buy
racing tires, walmart doesn't carry them. so yes, the question as to whether
walmart will order the racing tires i need and just mount/balance them is
pertinent in some cases.

See if you have a Tire Kingdom in your area or close by They claim to
be able to get any tire at the cheapest price.

Rick Brandt

"Joe Fabeitz" wrote in message
.. .
This hole "tire balancing" routine is another scam! Most tires today are
made to a higher standard than "in the old days". Buy 'em on the web, mount
'em yourself and to hell with balancing. I put new rubber on my "75 Caddie"
every few years and it runs like top. Maybe a little wobble at certain
speeds, so I avoid those speeds, but faster or slower is OK. Save your
money.

Not the stupidest thing I've ever seen posted, but close.

I-zheet M'drurz

Rick Brandt wrote:
"Joe Fabeitz" wrote ...

This hole "tire balancing" routine is another scam! Most tires
today are made to a higher standard than "in the old days".
Buy 'em on the web, mount 'em yourself and to hell with
balancing. I put new rubber on my "75 Caddie" every few years
and it runs like top. Maybe a little wobble at certain speeds,
so I avoid those speeds, but faster or slower is OK. Save your
money.

Not the stupidest thing I've ever seen posted, but close.

LMAO...Welcome to Usenet!
bwahahahaaaahahaa..."but faster or slower is ok" BWA HAAAA HA...

--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.
Use all your well-learned politesse,
or I'll lay your soul to waste.
DaddyMonkey

Joe wrote...

"...mount 'em yourself and to hell with balancing. I put new rubber on
my '75 Caddie every few years...."

Gee-wizz, I wonder why you have to replace tires "every few years"???

Les Schwab company in the NW.

Never heard of them. Are they a big tire store chain?
Sell and install tires?

I changed enough tires in my life that even if it cost twice what it
does now I would pay to have it done.

Agree with you. Id never do it myself. Never do
exhaust work myself again either. Ha!

Joe Fabeitz

gotcha!

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
Rick Brandt wrote:
"Joe Fabeitz" wrote ...

This hole "tire balancing" routine is another scam! Most tires
today are made to a higher standard than "in the old days".
Buy 'em on the web, mount 'em yourself and to hell with
balancing. I put new rubber on my "75 Caddie" every few years
and it runs like top. Maybe a little wobble at certain speeds,
so I avoid those speeds, but faster or slower is OK. Save your
money.

Not the stupidest thing I've ever seen posted, but close.

LMAO...Welcome to Usenet!
bwahahahaaaahahaa..."but faster or slower is ok" BWA HAAAA HA...

--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.
Use all your well-learned politesse,
or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Chris Lewis

According to DaddyMonkey :
ya gotta be kidding us, right?

Heh. I just replaced a tire on a trailer, my first experience.
Never again...

[I had little choice, since the wheel bolts were rust-frozen _solid_ and
I couldn't get the wheel off. The trailer was out in the boonies.]

Installation is about the same as removal. Two people, two pry-bars, big
hammer... BUT WAIT!... you're going to need some rubber lubricate...
liquid soap will work just fine.

Wish I had thought of that. Fortunately, I didn't wreck the tire.

Assuming you now have your new tires installed on the rims, without
totally destroying them, how are you going to inflate them?
I have seen rock-crawlers and artic guys inflate tires by spraying
starter-fluid inbetween the bead and rim, and then "flicking-there-Bic"
--BOOM!--
(I didn't say this .... Don't try this at home kids, but a man's gotta
do what a man's gotta do, I guess).
Do you see where I'm going with this?
NO? --- okay

This works and is relatively easy: Take a chunk of rope, and wrap it a turn
or two around the circumference of the tire and tie it off. Then, using
a heavy screwdriver or a chunk of wood, do a "spanish windlass" to
tighten the loop. This expands the tire against the bead.

It helps to have something that will dump air into the tire _fast_. Ie:
an inflater tank.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
I-zheet M'drurz

DaddyMonkey wrote:

Assuming you now have your new tires installed on the rims,
without totally destroying them, how are you going to inflate
them? I have seen rock-crawlers and artic guys inflate tires by
spraying starter-fluid inbetween the bead and rim, and then
"flicking-there-Bic" --BOOM!--
(I didn't say this .... Don't try this at home kids, but a
man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, I guess).

Third most famous "Last Words of a Redneck" (right behind "Hey
guys, watch this!" and "Baby, grab my Duct Tape")...

"**** yeah, this'll work..."

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
LARRY THE CABLE GUY

On 7 Sep 2004 21:37:05 GMT, "I-zheet M'drurz"
wrote:

DaddyMonkey wrote:

Assuming you now have your new tires installed on the rims,
without totally destroying them, how are you going to inflate
them? I have seen rock-crawlers and artic guys inflate tires by
spraying starter-fluid inbetween the bead and rim, and then
"flicking-there-Bic" --BOOM!--
(I didn't say this .... Don't try this at home kids, but a
man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, I guess).

Third most famous "Last Words of a Redneck" (right behind "Hey
guys, watch this!" and "Baby, grab my Duct Tape")...

"**** yeah, this'll work..."

The third most famous is " hold my beer would ye"
127.0.0.1

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to DaddyMonkey :
ya gotta be kidding us, right?

Heh. I just replaced a tire on a trailer, my first experience.
Never again...

[I had little choice, since the wheel bolts were rust-frozen _solid_ and
I couldn't get the wheel off. The trailer was out in the boonies.]

Installation is about the same as removal. Two people, two pry-bars, big
hammer... BUT WAIT!... you're going to need some rubber lubricate...
liquid soap will work just fine.

Wish I had thought of that. Fortunately, I didn't wreck the tire.

i use a small butane torch.
heat up the bolts and wrench off with ease.
and if they don't, turn up the heat and melt em off....

-a|ex

ameijers

"127.0.0.1" loopy@localhost wrote in message
link.net...

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to DaddyMonkey :
ya gotta be kidding us, right?

Heh. I just replaced a tire on a trailer, my first experience.
Never again...

[I had little choice, since the wheel bolts were rust-frozen _solid_ and
I couldn't get the wheel off. The trailer was out in the boonies.]

Installation is about the same as removal. Two people, two pry-bars,

big
hammer... BUT WAIT!... you're going to need some rubber lubricate...
liquid soap will work just fine.

Wish I had thought of that. Fortunately, I didn't wreck the tire.

i use a small butane torch.
heat up the bolts and wrench off with ease.
and if they don't, turn up the heat and melt em off....

And if the lug bolts are that rusty, and it was sitting long enough for tire
to dry-rot, what made you think there was any grease left in wheel bearing?
Unless it was real old style where you can pull off dust cap and grease with
wheel in place, and you did grease it, you were lucky wheel didn't seize up
and fail catastropically at highway speed when you pulled it out of there.

Yet another reason I give trailers as wide a berth as possible on the road.

aem sends...

Chris Lewis

According to ameijers :

"127.0.0.1" loopy@localhost wrote in message
link.net...

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to DaddyMonkey :
ya gotta be kidding us, right?

Heh. I just replaced a tire on a trailer, my first experience.
Never again...

[I had little choice, since the wheel bolts were rust-frozen _solid_ and
I couldn't get the wheel off. The trailer was out in the boonies.]

Installation is about the same as removal. Two people, two pry-bars,

big
hammer... BUT WAIT!... you're going to need some rubber lubricate...
liquid soap will work just fine.

Wish I had thought of that. Fortunately, I didn't wreck the tire.

i use a small butane torch.
heat up the bolts and wrench off with ease.
and if they don't, turn up the heat and melt em off....

We tried a torch. And a air-powered wrench (but it didn't have enough
pressure to really kick the bolt heads). You can't melt a bolt with
a torch like that.

Besides, shearing the heads off those bolts would have made the problem
worse. [These were hex bolts, not wheel nuts. Would have left me
with shorn off bolt inside the wheel hub. Ugh.]

And if the lug bolts are that rusty, and it was sitting long enough for tire
to dry-rot, what made you think there was any grease left in wheel bearing?
Unless it was real old style where you can pull off dust cap and grease with
wheel in place, and you did grease it, you were lucky wheel didn't seize up
and fail catastropically at highway speed when you pulled it out of there.

Only had a couple of Km to go, trailer very light, we went slow, had a chase
car watching for things falling off, and the wheels clearly had grease in 'em.
Yes, it did have dust caps, but didn't bother visually checking.

Even if the wheel had seized, nothing much would have happened. Very light
trailer (a smallish mobile sign), going very slow.

Yet another reason I give trailers as wide a berth as possible on the road.

Me too.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est