Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shuffleboard table - Formica vs. solid maple playing surface?

I am planning to build a shuffleboard table, and I am considering putting a
Formica (or similar) laminate on the playing surface instead of making it
solid hard maple. Has anyone built or played on one with a Formica type
surface? Is this a bad idea?

Durability and flatness is my primary objective.

Thanks,
Randy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Randy A" wrote in message
. ..
I am planning to build a shuffleboard table, and I am considering putting a
Formica (or similar) laminate on the playing surface instead of making it
solid hard maple. Has anyone built or played on one with a Formica type
surface? Is this a bad idea?

Durability and flatness is my primary objective.

The Formica will be as flat at the surface that you flue it to. It will
wear.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Randy A" wrote:

I am planning to build a shuffleboard table, and I am considering

putting a
Formica (or similar) laminate on the playing surface instead of

making it
solid hard maple. Has anyone built or played on one with a Formica

type
surface? Is this a bad idea?

Durability and flatness is my primary objective.

No good reasons for the following except my belt & suspenders approach
to things.

I'd build the table using a 2x4 construction lumber frame covered by a
piece of 3/4" plywood, then covered by a piece of 3/4" MDF, then
finally laminate a piece of counter grade laminate to the MDF.

Very heavy, but "hell for stout" as the old German used to say.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Randy A" wrote in message
. ..
I am planning to build a shuffleboard table, and I am considering putting a
Formica (or similar) laminate on the playing surface instead of making it
solid hard maple. Has anyone built or played on one with a Formica type
surface? Is this a bad idea?

Durability and flatness is my primary objective.

Thanks,
Randy

I would love to have one! Sadly, I could never convince my lovely bride I
need one.
As for building one, I would think if a laminate surface was better, the
original ones would be made that way.

Dave