Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Who is your favourite woodworking guru?

Hi all,

I was just pondering the idea of "gurus" & I thought the following questions
may hopefully make some interesting & entertaining discussion

Including people in this newsgroup & others in the field, whom do you
consider to be the present-day "gurus" in woodworking? ...I mean the people
who guide others, are inspirational & highly respected for their work &
contributions in this field.

Who is your favourite guru & why?

Please take the question in a light-hearted way. Maybe this is just a chance
to honour someone you respect. Maybe some readers will check out your "guru"
and also enjoy them.

Tony Burch

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tony Burch" wrote...
whom do you
consider to be the present-day "gurus" in woodworking? ...I mean the

people
who guide others, are inspirational & highly respected for their work &
contributions in this field.

IMO, the only TV handyman who makes any sense at all is Red Green. I'm not
sure those other guys know what they're doing at all.

I get my inspiration from Chippendales Director, Hepplewhites Guide, and
Sheratons Design Book, especially Geo. Hepplewhites. Also books that are
collections of photos of museum pieces. American Painted Furniture
1660-1880, Little Books About Old Furniture, Kaufmann Collection. And books
that show how the old pieces were constructed

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I vote for Sam Maloof.

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"noonenparticular" wrote ...

Great work on your website. I particularly like the library in cherry.

Thanks! Got pics of a cherry entertainment center and bar, and a cherry &
curly maple tv cabinet going up tonight.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi,

I've always appreciated John White from Fine Woodworking. He's the
author of several books on how to fine tune woodworking machinery and
has been a great source of information on the technical side. I
appreciate the jigs he comes up with to fine tune powertools without
going into fancy and expensive tuning (and rarely used) devices.

On the woodworker's side, I think Norm Abram is certainly an honest
source of inspiration despite his carpenter tool belt and his horrible
finishing abilities. I don't want to start a religious war and I don't
think I'm a "Norm follower" either but there's one thing for su Norm
is certainly the person who had (and still have) the most powerful
impact on me on the weekend mornings after I watched his show. I get a
sudden urge to head to my shop and build something (or complete an
unfinished project). I've never built anything he's done and find most
of his projects not very interesting but he's for sure THE one who gets
me in my shop every weekends. Just seeing him milling, shaping,
cutting, rabbetting, routing, gluing, assembling, fitting, and all that
with a relative ease gives me the kick to do woodworking.

Cyberben

Tony Burch wrote:
Hi all,

I was just pondering the idea of "gurus" & I thought the following questions
may hopefully make some interesting & entertaining discussion

Including people in this newsgroup & others in the field, whom do you
consider to be the present-day "gurus" in woodworking? ...I mean the people
who guide others, are inspirational & highly respected for their work &
contributions in this field.

Who is your favourite guru & why?

Please take the question in a light-hearted way. Maybe this is just a chance
to honour someone you respect. Maybe some readers will check out your "guru"
and also enjoy them.

Tony Burch

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tony Burch" wrote in message
u...
Hi all,

I was just pondering the idea of "gurus" & I thought the following
questions may hopefully make some interesting & entertaining discussion

Including people in this newsgroup & others in the field, whom do you
consider to be the present-day "gurus" in woodworking? ...I mean the
people who guide others, are inspirational & highly respected for their
work & contributions in this field.

Who is your favourite guru & why?

Please take the question in a light-hearted way. Maybe this is just a
chance to honour someone you respect. Maybe some readers will check out
your "guru" and also enjoy them.

Tony Burch

Bruce Johnson on DIY WoodWorking.

Why?

Because he makes me look very good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Who is your favourite guru & why?

Nahmie!! I learned most of what I know from watching him on TV. I just saw
a rerun of the "Mission Style Desk" and I have a real craving to try through
tenons for the first time.

I also like David Marks. He introduced me to floating tenons and I never
looked back. All his shows are reruns? Are they making Woodworks any
more?

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

As an educator - Roy Underhill. Unmatched enthusiasm for sure. His
emphasis on the wood itself, it what I appreciate the most - I guess
you need to understand the wood if you don't have electric motors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
"Tony Burch" wrote :
Who is your favourite guru & why?

Amy Devers?

Of course, but why?

JP
*******************
Nice finials.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 15:07:38 -0400, "Locutus" wrote:

"Tony Burch" wrote in message
. au...
Hi all,

I was just pondering the idea of "gurus" & I thought the following
questions may hopefully make some interesting & entertaining discussion

Including people in this newsgroup & others in the field, whom do you
consider to be the present-day "gurus" in woodworking? ...I mean the
people who guide others, are inspirational & highly respected for their
work & contributions in this field.

Who is your favourite guru & why?

Please take the question in a light-hearted way. Maybe this is just a
chance to honour someone you respect. Maybe some readers will check out
your "guru" and also enjoy them.

Tony Burch

Amy Devers?

Nah. Robin's butt.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tony Burch" wrote in
u:

Hi all,

Who is your favourite guru & why?

My step-father. There was nothing he couldn't do, and he taught me a lot
of what I know (much of the teaching was "directed experimentation"). He
knew how to make a mistake look like a feature. Even though he could do
anything, he also knew when to call for an expert.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" [email protected] wrote in :

Who is your favourite guru & why?

Nahmie!! I learned most of what I know from watching him on TV. I
just saw a rerun of the "Mission Style Desk" and I have a real craving
to try through tenons for the first time.

I also like David Marks. He introduced me to floating tenons and I
never looked back. All his shows are reruns? Are they making
Woodworks any more?

I like both of these guys, but I don't watch the reruns much any more.

And David Marks is purely in reruns on DIY now. They pretty much ran out
of material to cover that was new. You should see the normal run of
artwork David does in his workshop.

Patriarch,
who could use some good turning guru on the tellie...
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 01:04:11 GMT, "Stoutman" [email protected] wrote:

Who is your favourite guru & why?

Nahmie!! I learned most of what I know from watching him on TV. I just saw
a rerun of the "Mission Style Desk" and I have a real craving to try through
tenons for the first time.

I also like David Marks. He introduced me to floating tenons and I never
looked back. All his shows are reruns? Are they making Woodworks any
more?

Swingman,

He shows up on Houston TimeWarner channel 328. Pretty sure some of the episodes are dated 2006, but
I don't often pay attention to that. Been saving the shows to HD since SWMBO bought the DVD
recorder earlier this year. Somebody posted 3-4 DVD's on alt.binaries.dvd about a month ago. Time
and date keep shifting around. Saturday is recording day - Norm, Roy and the router guys. Dave
Marks usually in the evening along with Woodturning. I plan to watch all these when I retire and
can no longer afford to buy wood.

My gurus are Norm and Roy. I like Norm's personal style. He's the guy that inspired me to take up
woodworking again, and try to break out of the home improvement mould. He is a good teacher and
does a good job explaining techniques. Norm's tastes run toward Colonial, Shaker and Craftsman
styles which are also my favorites. A version of his clamp stand rolls around in my shop, and we
have a version of one of his sheds in the back yard.

I like Roy for his cool name and his interest in old time methods. Just like him, I've made bows,
arrows, a flute, kids stuff, candle lanterns, camp gear, stools, knapped flints and done some
blacksmithing. I tell SWMBO it's his fault I have all these wooden hand planes (it's a slippery
slope). I also cut myself a lot. We must be related.

I enjoy watching David Marks build. He is another good teacher. I don't care for most of his
designs, but I seem to learn something new or understand something better after watching one of his
shows.

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tony Burch"
Who is your favourite guru & why?

My father and grandfather both inspired me at a young age. Currently, its
my lovely bride. She sees something in a magazine or on TV and says, "I
want that, now go and build it!". I tell her that I may need a new tool or
two and she say's "Fine, just build it for me.".

Life is good!

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...

Locutus wrote:
"Tony Burch" wrote :
Who is your favourite guru & why?

Amy Devers?

Of course, but why?

JP
*******************
Nice finials.

Duh!, just had to ask didn't yuh!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
"Tony Burch" wrote in message
u...
Hi all,

I was just pondering the idea of "gurus" & I thought the following
questions may hopefully make some interesting & entertaining discussion

Including people in this newsgroup & others in the field, whom do you
consider to be the present-day "gurus" in woodworking? ...I mean the
people who guide others, are inspirational & highly respected for their
work & contributions in this field.

Who is your favourite guru & why?

Please take the question in a light-hearted way. Maybe this is just a
chance to honour someone you respect. Maybe some readers will check out
your "guru" and also enjoy them.

Tony Burch

Amy Devers?

LOL! She's got great specs!

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tony Burch wrote:
Hi all,

I was just pondering the idea of "gurus" & I thought the following questions
may hopefully make some interesting & entertaining discussion

Including people in this newsgroup & others in the field, whom do you
consider to be the present-day "gurus" in woodworking? ...I mean the people
who guide others, are inspirational & highly respected for their work &
contributions in this field.

Who is your favourite guru & why?

Please take the question in a light-hearted way. Maybe this is just a chance
to honour someone you respect. Maybe some readers will check out your "guru"
and also enjoy them.

Tony Burch

My favorite gurus are the guys who've patiently answered my questions in
on line forums. Leon, for one, has helped me on a number of occasions,
so he gets special mention. Others on line over the past few years have
also earned my heartfelt appreciation. the TV guys? I can take 'em or
leave 'em.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tony Burch wrote:
Hi all,

I was just pondering the idea of "gurus" & I thought the following questions
may hopefully make some interesting & entertaining discussion

Including people in this newsgroup & others in the field, whom do you
consider to be the present-day "gurus" in woodworking? ...I mean the people
who guide others, are inspirational & highly respected for their work &
contributions in this field.

Who is your favourite guru & why?

Ian Kirby knows what's up. I like his stuff because he focuses on
efficiency of body and work process.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

In no particular order

James Krenov - do a few things exceptionally well,
let the wood do the
talking and K.I.S.S.
(Keep It Simple Stupid) - or at least
make it appear so, use
the wood wisely

Sam Maloof - make things that function well and
are visually as well
as tactily pleasing- a
chair or bench that beckons you
to sit and run your hand
over it

Toshio Odate - japanese tools, their use and
approach to their use

Michael Fortune - don't be limited to flat
surfaces and straight lines
Great teacher, great
woodworker, nice person

Frank Klausz - pragmatic and efficient with a bias
towards traditional
methods and joinery

Ian Kirby - one of the few who passes on the
fundamentals with
the why as well as the how.
open to using the latest
materials, appreciating the
freedom they bring.

Michael Colca - Central Texas very high furniture
maker. He and
wife built an amazing
home, shop on the first floor
full of old heavy iron
and wondrous wood, living
space above of beatiful
woods and craftsmanship
everywhere you look.
(www.colca.com)

Tage Frid - cause an upside down belt sander for
sharpening chisels
is just fine

Can kick myself for drawing a blank on the name -
google "Soul of
a Tree" - wondrous wood with minimal human
modification to make
it useful

Norm - for getting people to try woodworking

Roy - for perpetuating the use of hand tools and
getting
people to try woodworking

should do for a start

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
: Can kick myself for drawing a blank on the name -
: google "Soul of
: a Tree" - wondrous wood with minimal human
: modification to make
: it useful

George Nakashima. Amazing work -- has to be seen
in person to really appreciate it.

I'd also toss in John Reed Fox and Andrew Craford. And David Marks.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

Can kick myself for drawing a blank on the name - google "Soul of
a Tree" - wondrous wood with minimal human modification to make
it useful

Nakashima! Saw - and drew - most of the
extant great trees.
(Now I won't awaken in the middle of the
night yelling
"Nakashima idiot!")

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

I believe Tom Plamann deserves at least a mention, dontcha y'all
think?

http://www.plamann.com

Renata

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 21:18:45 +1000, "Tony Burch"
wrote:

Hi all,

I was just pondering the idea of "gurus" & I thought the following questions
may hopefully make some interesting & entertaining discussion

Including people in this newsgroup & others in the field, whom do you
consider to be the present-day "gurus" in woodworking? ...I mean the people
who guide others, are inspirational & highly respected for their work &
contributions in this field.

Who is your favourite guru & why?

Please take the question in a light-hearted way. Maybe this is just a chance
to honour someone you respect. Maybe some readers will check out your "guru"
and also enjoy them.

Tony Burch

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

Amy Devers

wrote:

Hi all,

I was just pondering the idea of "gurus" & I thought the following
questions
may hopefully make some interesting & entertaining discussion

Including people in this newsgroup & others in the field, whom do you
consider to be the present-day "gurus" in woodworking? ...I mean the
people
who guide others, are inspirational & highly respected for their work &
contributions in this field.

Who is your favourite guru & why?

Please take the question in a light-hearted way. Maybe this is just a
chance
to honour someone you respect. Maybe some readers will check out your
"guru"
and also enjoy them.

Tony Burch

The Woodworking Channel gary in virginia Woodworking 19 April 16th 06 07:48 AM
The Woodworking Channel? Arch Woodturning 18 March 29th 06 02:29 PM
FA; eBay: Woodworking books videos Zak Woodturning 9 October 23rd 04 03:38 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM