Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Most unobtrusive finish

Hi,

Generally speaking, what is the most unobtrusive finish? I'm talking
about for furniture such as desks and dining room servers. I've been
using poly exclusively and I'm getting a little bit tired of the
plasticy finish that it leaves. What are good ideas for minimizing that
effect and letting the wood show through as much as possible ans
naturally as possible.

A very specific aside: if you are familiar with Nakashima tables,
that's the kind of feel I'm looking for.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

Take a look at targetcoatings.com. Good stuff, including their water-based
Oxford Ultimate Spray Lacquer (USL) and water-based Emtech Precatalyzed
Conversion Varnish.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Generally speaking, what is the most unobtrusive finish? I'm talking
about for furniture such as desks and dining room servers. I've been
using poly exclusively and I'm getting a little bit tired of the
plasticy finish that it leaves. What are good ideas for minimizing that
effect and letting the wood show through as much as possible ans
naturally as possible.

A very specific aside: if you are familiar with Nakashima tables,
that's the kind of feel I'm looking for.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

Aaron Fude wrote...

Generally speaking, what is the most unobtrusive finish? I'm talking

if you are familiar with Nakashima tables,
that's the kind of feel I'm looking for.

Nakashima uses hand-rubbed oil finishes. Boiled linseed oil or tung oil
work best. I think Frid used to say something like rub in the oil once a
day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, but those
old timers liked to give everybody a hard time, IMO. 8^)

I get good results spraying Sher-Wood Kem Aqua. Comes in 4 sheens: gloss,
bright-rubbed effect, medium-rubbed effect, and dull rubbed effect. A touch
of amber dye warms it up and adds depth to the finish. A thin coat of
bright-rubbed with a bit of amber tint gives a nice natural look. I've used
many many 5 gallon pails of Kem Aqua, and the product has always been
consistent.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Generally speaking, what is the most unobtrusive finish?

I'd agree that BLO or Tung Oil would be good and not add much color.
Mineral oil would probably add even less color, but since it doesn't
polymerize, it wouldn't protect the surface of the wood at all (except
maybe from drying out). If you need a more durable finish, though,
such as for chair arms, table tops, step stools, or anything that gets
used a lot, some kind of hardening varnish/poly would help a lot. You
mention a plasticy look with poly - have you been using water base
poly? I haven't used waterbase, but from what I've seen and read, it
adds more of a blueish tint or plasticy feel than oil base poly or
varnish. I've had very good luck with Rockler's poly gel finish - easy
to apply, protects well, and doesn't add any noticeable color. If it's
too glossy, you can knock it down as much as you want with 0000 steel
wool. Super-blonde shellac is another "unobtrusive" option - better if
you make it up yourself, but it goes over or under any other finish,
and again, you can control the gloss with steel wool or ultra-fine
sandpaper. Not quite as durable as poly/varnish.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Generally speaking, what is the most unobtrusive finish? I'm talking
about for furniture such as desks and dining room servers. I've been
using poly exclusively and I'm getting a little bit tired of the
plasticy finish that it leaves. What are good ideas for minimizing that
effect and letting the wood show through as much as possible ans
naturally as possible.

A very specific aside: if you are familiar with Nakashima tables,
that's the kind of feel I'm looking for.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Arron, it would help if you could refine your question somewhat.
Specifically what physical properties do you require? Chemical resistance
water resistance wear.

BLO or tung will definitely not look plasticy, but they offer very little in
wear and water resistance.

Sure, poly can be plasticy... particularly if applied with a brush, out of
the can. Have you tried wipe-on poly? The lower viscosity makes it easier to
apply with less build and it is easier to avoid drips and dust
contamination.

There are lots of trade-offs. Can you tolerate a finish with a modestly
amber color? What is you preferred method of application.

Understanding wood finishes by Flexner is an excellent resource to have on
hand to help you sort through those trade-offs and I think it's less that
$20.... cheaper than a quart of Waterlox.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi,

Thanks to all who responded!

Water and wear protenction is important. I can very much tolerate a bit
of an amber feel.

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Achieving a Satin Finish with Nitrocellulose Lacquer [email protected] Woodworking 11 February 23rd 06 07:54 PM
shiny/matt patches on emulsion finish - how to get the 'mattest' finish [email protected] UK diy 0 February 18th 06 12:50 PM
How to Touch Up Wood Finish? [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 9th 06 04:40 PM
Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Woodworking 6 April 28th 04 05:45 PM