Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to cut 16" miter joint?

I am building a 16" deep stand. The top and sides will be a miter joint.
My RAS will only cut 15.5". Any way to get that extra half inch? If it
were a 90 cut I would just flip it over, but you can't do that with a 45.
And no, I can't do it on my TS. I have an oversized motor on it, and it
sticks out above the table when set to 45. I found that out the hard way;
ran into the motor when I was concentrating on the blade.

I am thinking about moving the fence back an inch and putting a 1" shim in.
Then putting a fence on the table perpendicular to the regular fence.
Making my cut and locking the saw all the way back, removing the shim and
completing the cut by sliding the work back against the perpendicular fence
and repeating the cut.

Yeah, its half-assed, but I can't think of a better alternative. Well,
other than telling the customer it has to be 15.5"; or just doing it that
size, I doubt anyone would ever know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

You can move the fence or spin the board 90 degrees raise the blade,
position the blade and lower the blade into the dado for fit, raise the
blade push it back and make your cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 19:30:33 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

[...]

skill saw and a strait edge. or finnish the cut with a router and a
chamforing bit and a strait edge. how much does the motor stick up?
if not a lot you could make a sled smaller than the 16" required and
let the piece overhang the sled.

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
I am building a 16" deep stand. The top and sides will be a miter joint.
My RAS will only cut 15.5". Any way to get that extra half inch? If it
were a 90 cut I would just flip it over, but you can't do that with a 45.
And no, I can't do it on my TS. I have an oversized motor on it, and it
sticks out above the table when set to 45. I found that out the hard way;
ran into the motor when I was concentrating on the blade.

I am thinking about moving the fence back an inch and putting a 1" shim
in. Then putting a fence on the table perpendicular to the regular fence.
Making my cut and locking the saw all the way back, removing the shim and
completing the cut by sliding the work back against the perpendicular
fence and repeating the cut.

I've done just what you suggest with the fence... it works. Just be careful
to make sure that the blade still remains behind the face of the fence and
you should be OK.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
I am building a 16" deep stand. The top and sides will be a miter joint.
My RAS will only cut 15.5". Any way to get that extra half inch?

Use a handsaw? Maybe a chisel?

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
[...]

You may be able to raise the wood up off the saw table (put a piece of
scrap under the work piece), this may give you a little more usable
blade width and may get the extra 1/2".

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

Why not use a circular saw with a guide?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Two 8" boards and glue em up after cutting the miters?

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 18:07:40 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

I second that. I had a similar situation, bought a very good blade for
my PC circular saw, carefully clamped on a guide and the cut was as
good as I could have made on my RAS.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Toller wrote:
[...]

If you cut the stock at 90d first on the table saw, then set the TS to
45, the little triangle of wood ripped off may clear the motor.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
[...]

I'd cut it by hand. Clamp a straight piece of wood on the cut line and
use a sharp saw. Clean up with a jack or jointer plane.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
I am building a 16" deep stand. The top and sides will be a miter
joint. My RAS will only cut 15.5". Any way to get that extra half
inch?

Set the RAS up to rip and do it that way.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Amazing variety of great ideas; thanks all.

I got my panels glued up today, so tomorrow I will cut the miters; some how.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Fred" wrote in message
oups.com...

Toller wrote:
[...]

bing bing bing, we have a winner.
Yes, I moved the fence back 3" and put a half inch of plywood on the table,
it gave me the extra room I needed. Thanks much.