Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default How to cut 16" miter joint?

"Fred" wrote in message
oups.com...

Toller wrote:
I am building a 16" deep stand. The top and sides will be a miter joint.
My RAS will only cut 15.5". Any way to get that extra half inch? If it
were a 90 cut I would just flip it over, but you can't do that with a 45.
And no, I can't do it on my TS. I have an oversized motor on it, and it
sticks out above the table when set to 45. I found that out the hard
way;
ran into the motor when I was concentrating on the blade.

I am thinking about moving the fence back an inch and putting a 1" shim
in.
Then putting a fence on the table perpendicular to the regular fence.
Making my cut and locking the saw all the way back, removing the shim and
completing the cut by sliding the work back against the perpendicular
fence
and repeating the cut.

Yeah, its half-assed, but I can't think of a better alternative. Well,
other than telling the customer it has to be 15.5"; or just doing it that
size, I doubt anyone would ever know.

You may be able to raise the wood up off the saw table (put a piece of
scrap under the work piece), this may give you a little more usable
blade width and may get the extra 1/2".

bing bing bing, we have a winner.
Yes, I moved the fence back 3" and put a half inch of plywood on the table,
it gave me the extra room I needed. Thanks much.