Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default How to cut 16" miter joint?

wrote:
Toller wrote:
I am building a 16" deep stand. The top and sides will be a miter joint.
My RAS will only cut 15.5". Any way to get that extra half inch? If it

snip

I took Ian Kirby's advice and made a simple sled jig to hold work at 45
deg to table. His main argument is that contractors' t/s-s have such
flimsy links between angle-adjusting trunnions that you get the arbor
located to do 90 deg. and make jigs to cut at all other angles.

Even on a "good" table saw I think jigging is the way to go. You spend
a little time on the jig and get it right and then everything goes
quickly and safely. And then you have the jig forever - and can crank
out your miters in a snap.

JP