Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Foredom handpiece mystery

I bought a box of assorted burrs at a garage sale. There were two Foredom
handpieces in the box, one of witch I have not been able to find anything
about on the web. The mystery handpiece was in an original Foredom plastic
sleeve labeled "HANDPIECE NO. 7". As far as i can tell there is not a
conventional collet or chuck. The nose of the handpiece tapers to a pointed
snout with a aprox 7/64" hole.
If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it. As I said google does
not even tell me that a #7 handpiece exists.
What is it designed for?
Is it discontinued and if so why?
Is it safe to use and if so how?
See a picture of the handpiece at:

http://handpiece.shutterfly.com

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

rockhound wrote:
I bought a box of assorted burrs at a garage sale. There were two Foredom
handpieces in the box, one of witch I have not been able to find anything
about on the web. The mystery handpiece was in an original Foredom plastic
sleeve labeled "HANDPIECE NO. 7". As far as i can tell there is not a
conventional collet or chuck. The nose of the handpiece tapers to a pointed
snout with a aprox 7/64" hole.
If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it. As I said google does
not even tell me that a #7 handpiece exists.
What is it designed for?
Is it discontinued and if so why?
Is it safe to use and if so how?
See a picture of the handpiece at:

http://handpiece.shutterfly.com

Thanks!

looks like one of the quick change handpieces, designed for changing
the burr while the motor is running.

those were expensive beasts, as I recall...

Posted to rec.woodworking

rockhound wrote:
IThe mystery handpiece..... NO. 7". As far as i can tell there is not a
conventional collet or chuck. The nose of the handpiece tapers to a pointed
snout with a aprox 7/64" hole. .... See a picture of the handpiece at:

http://handpiece.shutterfly.com

Thanks!

if you go to foredom's site you can download a pdf of their current
catalog.

http://www.blackstoneind.com/foundations/store/documentwarehouse/documents/301Catalog_AllPages_May2006.PDF
or:
http://tinyurl.com/n2ku2

in it there is no no. 7 handpiece. however, there is a no. 15
handpiece, which is a teeny tiny jackhammer (more or less). it also has
a picture of the pionts used by that handpiece. think they might fit
your machine?

foredom does not make all of the handpieces they sell. I have a very
nice one made by some outfit in germany, branded foredom, but obviously
not their manufacture. the no. 7 may be one made by some third party
who went titsup sometime in the past. it would be interesting to find
out the history of your mystery handpiece. you might give foredom a
call- somebody there may have some information for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

OK, found it.
from www.habsons.com:

"34-232-2 | FOREDOM HANDPIECE #7 | IN CART: 0 | PRICE: $279.89
Features an ultra thin tapered shape and quick release push/pull
collet. Ideal for continuous use at speeds up to 10,000 rpm and for
intermittent use at higher speeds. Suitable for use with 3/32 shank
burs or mandrels only.

* Items are all in Canadian currency

If you have any questions or comments please contact us at
604-708-9700."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 2:26:52 -0700, wrote
(in message . com):

http://www.blackstoneind.com/foundat...se/documents/3
01Catalog_AllPages_May2006.PDF
or:
http://tinyurl.com/n2ku2

in it there is no no. 7 handpiece. however, there is a no. 15
handpiece, which is a teeny tiny jackhammer (more or less). it also has
a picture of the pionts used by that handpiece. think they might fit
your machine?

foredom does not make all of the handpieces they sell. I have a very
nice one made by some outfit in germany, branded foredom, but obviously
not their manufacture. the no. 7 may be one made by some third party
who went titsup sometime in the past. it would be interesting to find
out the history of your mystery handpiece. you might give foredom a
call- somebody there may have some information for you.

OK I figured out how the collet works. This is definately a rotary piece not
the tiny hammer. Thanks for the info. By the way, country of origin, it's
marked Austria.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 2:41:35 -0700, wrote
(in message . com):

OK, found it.
from
www.habsons.com:

"34-232-2 | FOREDOM HANDPIECE #7 | IN CART: 0 | PRICE: $279.89
Features an ultra thin tapered shape and quick release push/pull
collet. Ideal for continuous use at speeds up to 10,000 rpm and for
intermittent use at higher speeds. Suitable for use with 3/32 shank
burs or mandrels only.

* Items are all in Canadian currency

If you have any questions or comments please contact us at
604-708-9700."

Thank you! Wow this is a spendy little sucker!

Posted to rec.woodworking

rockhound wrote:

Thank you! Wow this is a spendy little sucker!

if it's anything like the one I have, and I think it probably is,
you'll find it an absolute joy to work with- as long as you stay within
it's fairly narrow performance envelope. it is for delicate work at
high speed using sharp cutters on non abrasive materials. since the
collet is machined directly into the shaft, it will run very very
true..... note however, that the collet in not serviceable- if you
damage the collet the handpiece is dead. so don't try to use it for
hogging out, don't run cheap bits in it and keep the collet clean- and
you'll figure out that cleaning that collet isn't easy, either.

nice score. have fun with it...

Modifying a Foredom Handpiece Norm Dresner Woodworking 5 May 19th 06 03:44 PM
Dremel of Foredom SteveB Metalworking 8 July 14th 05 05:45 AM
Noise levels: Foredom vs. die grinder GCN Metalworking 9 June 8th 05 03:43 AM
Foredom grinder vs knockoff RWL Metalworking 6 March 14th 05 03:49 PM
Foredom Hand Rotary Tool Question SteveB Metalworking 9 December 17th 04 12:12 AM