Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wooden 6X6 in ground

What is the best way to put 6x6's in ground 4' to ensure long life. The wood
is freshly milled Juniper (Tamerac, Larch) and the geography is eastern
canada. People have told me to wrap in plastic and refill with earth, refill
with gravel, refill with concrete.... Which is best?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mark" wrote in message
news
What is the best way to put 6x6's in ground 4' to ensure long life. The
wood is freshly milled Juniper (Tamerac, Larch) and the geography is
eastern canada. People have told me to wrap in plastic and refill with
earth, refill with gravel, refill with concrete.... Which is best?

I would stay away from concrete and wrapping with plastic. Both will retain
moisture.
I would go with gravel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mark" wrote in message
news
What is the best way to put 6x6's in ground 4' to ensure long life. The
wood is freshly milled Juniper (Tamerac, Larch) and the geography is
eastern canada. People have told me to wrap in plastic and refill with
earth, refill with gravel, refill with concrete.... Which is best?

Concrete base/foundation/column, Simpson Post base.
http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...A-ABE-ABU.html

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

mark wrote:

What is the best way to put 6x6's in ground 4' to ensure long life. The
wood is freshly milled Juniper (Tamerac, Larch) and the geography is
eastern canada. People have told me to wrap in plastic and refill with
earth, refill with gravel, refill with concrete.... Which is best?

The _best_ way is to use a concrete footing. If the wood is going to be
buried then the species counts for more than the method of burial and
Tamerac is not a good choice for such use. Red cedar (also sometimes
called "juniper") or pressure treated pine would be a better choice but if
you can get hold of some bois d'arc (aka "osage orange" and "bodark") or
ipe I think you'd be in better shape.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:08:03 GMT, "mark"
wrote:

I would agree with the gravel(crushed stone), 1/2 to 3/4 inch
aggregate size. If the posts are cut from the heartwood of tamarak
grown in wet areas, all the better.