Posted to rec.woodworking

Default This is just plain NUTS!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

"foggytown" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

About the only thing I can think of is for planing large timbers to size,
such as post and beam construction. Real price is $1500 (forget the Amazon
"list" prices) or so and I can see that. It is a low volume tool so design
and tooling cost will be spread over lower number of units.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Could be handy if you work a lot with heavy beams and wanted something
faster and smoother than an adz. $3000.00? More like half that.
"foggytown" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

"foggytown" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

Would be suitable for timber framers who want to surface large stock... sale
price is about $1,500. Hey what a deal... half price! I want one because I
don't have one. NOT!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 15 Jul 2006 13:40:32 -0700, "foggytown" wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

When you are faced with a Neander that thinks he's somebody with his
#8. And with 33 ft of cord you've got enough to tie him down and make
him watch you use it. Priceless.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

List price? The selling price was about $1500

1. Where can you buy a 12" Hand Electric Planer for less?
2. Can you build one for less?

"foggytown" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Arthur wrote:
List price? The selling price was about $1500

1. Where can you buy a 12" Hand Electric Planer for less?

I don't know. A similar Mafell costs double that.

2. Can you build one for less?

Har!

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"foggytown" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

Take another look at the ad and its use. The timber frame and log home
builders have a whole set of specialized tools to handle that big stock.
The shipping weight on this item is more than fifty pounds. Some of the
equipment is similar to that used in industrial saw mills. If you don't
like this you probably wouldn't like to buy one of their $ 700 to $1,300
circular saws.

http://www.loghelp.com/tools/sawmills.html

RonB

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message

"foggytown" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

Take another look at the ad and its use. The timber frame and log home
builders have a whole set of specialized tools to handle that big stock.
The shipping weight on this item is more than fifty pounds. Some of the
equipment is similar to that used in industrial saw mills. If you don't
like this you probably wouldn't like to buy one of their $ 700 to $1,300
circular saws.

http://www.loghelp.com/tools/sawmills.html

RonB I don't think I would want to try a 16 inch circuler saw. W W

Posted to rec.woodworking

"foggytown" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Time the tool man Taylor would love that!

Posted to rec.woodworking
AL AL is offline

Amazon's list prices are BS. They're selling prices are realistic.

This is a specialized tool, just like those giant 16" handheld circular
saws. People working with large timbers need them.

"foggytown" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

foggytown wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

I'll take "Tools that would scare the living **** out of me" for a
thousand please, Alex...

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:
"foggytown" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

Take another look at the ad and its use. The timber frame and log home
builders have a whole set of specialized tools to handle that big stock.
The shipping weight on this item is more than fifty pounds. Some of the
equipment is similar to that used in industrial saw mills. If you don't
like this you probably wouldn't like to buy one of their $ 700 to $1,300
circular saws.

http://www.loghelp.com/tools/sawmills.html

RonB

RonB

So you think it may be a bit excessive for the spice rack I'm making,
then?

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 15 Jul 2006 13:40:32 -0700, "foggytown" wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

Like Ed pointed out - low sales volume means R&D and mfg tooling costs
are spread over small number of units. The pricing structure for any
OEM product in these times is quite complex.
I would love to have one and am sure I could put it to good use - but
do I *need it*....probably not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB

RonB

So you think it may be a bit excessive for the spice rack I'm making,
then?

FoggyTown

Yeah. Those things could put a whole new definition on the word "Kickback".

Posted to rec.woodworking

foggytown wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

You're right. Nothing justifies the idiotic way manufacturers set
their list prices.

The tool, however, is fine, even at that price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 Jul 2006 02:26:03 -0700, "foggytown" wrote:

RonB wrote:

.... snip
Take another look at the ad and its use. The timber frame and log home
builders have a whole set of specialized tools to handle that big stock.
The shipping weight on this item is more than fifty pounds. Some of the
equipment is similar to that used in industrial saw mills. If you don't
like this you probably wouldn't like to buy one of their $ 700 to $1,300
circular saws.

http://www.loghelp.com/tools/sawmills.html

RonB

RonB

So you think it may be a bit excessive for the spice rack I'm making,
then?

Maybe not. How much flattening will the wall to which the rack is to be
mounted need?

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:
RonB

RonB

So you think it may be a bit excessive for the spice rack I'm making,
then?

FoggyTown

Yeah. Those things could put a whole new definition on the word "Kickback".

They're not really that bad. I took a timber framing class a few years
ago and they had 2. On had an after market 1/2" thick base plate that
had almost no kick on startup. We tended to wait for that one rather
than use the one with the factory base.
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

foggytown wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and
what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

It's an adult sex toy.