Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pergo Hardwood

Hi All,

I noticed that Lowe's is now selling Pergo's engineered hardwood flooring.
It comes prefinished in 3- or 5-inch-wide strips, 3/8" thick,
tongue-and-groove side and end joints, 20-year warranty on finish. Looks
like good quality material and finish. Slightly beveled side and end joints
are nice compared to other brands I've seen. Cost at Lowes is around $4 per
square foot for material only. For info, go to:

http://www.pergo.com/shop/category.aspx?categoryID=26

I'm planning on installing the floor in my kitchen and nook area, which has
ceramic tile on concrete slab on grade. According to the installation
instructions, the strips can either be glued directly to concrete or other
hard surface floor, or laid as a floating floor with vapor barrier, foam
underlayment, and glued joints between strips.

Does anyone have experience with this Pergo hardwood flooring? How
difficult is installation? I was thinking that the floating floor method
might be a better choice than the direct gluedown since all joints would be
filled with glue and there is less chance that kitchen spills would damage
the flooring. It would also be easier to remove the flooring in the future
if necessary.

Thanx,
Key Bored