Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making Square Plugs?

I'm getting ready to finish and arts and crafts style project and it
requires that i make up to 100 3/8"x3/8" square plugs (pyramid on top) to
simulate through drawpegs on my mortice and tenon joinery. Tried to find
something online but all I can find is round screwhole plugs. Anyone have
an idea how to produce these fairly rapidly? Links thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to finish and arts and crafts style project and it
requires that i make up to 100 3/8"x3/8" square plugs (pyramid on top) to
simulate through drawpegs on my mortice and tenon joinery. Tried to find
something online but all I can find is round screwhole plugs. Anyone have
an idea how to produce these fairly rapidly? Links thanks

I did this for a customer several years back. The piece was embellished
with the pyramid shaped pieces.

Mine were larger but you can probably adapt. My pyramids were made 3/4"
square.

I cut a piece of wood about 2' long x 3/4" x 3/4". I then used a disk
sander to put a pyramid point on to the ends of the piece by applying the
wood to the disk and at the desired angle until 1/2 of the end was beveled.
I then rotated 90 degrees and repeated until I had a pyramid end. I then
cut off each end to the require height and started the procedure over again.
I can post pictures if you like.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Leon, yes that occured to me as a solution also but the time frame to
complete 98 of these little buggers.....doing it that way....arggghhhh
thanks gotta be a better way.......

Leon" wrote in message
.com...

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/07/2006 12:13 PM, Doug wrote:

I'm getting ready to finish and arts and crafts style project and it
requires that i make up to 100 3/8"x3/8" square plugs (pyramid on top) to
simulate through drawpegs on my mortice and tenon joinery. Tried to find
something online but all I can find is round screwhole plugs. Anyone have
an idea how to produce these fairly rapidly? Links thanks

Have you considered round pegs with a square top (i.e. only the visible
part)? You should be able to turn those out pretty quick with a good
plug cutter and some creative sawing. Drilling the mounting holes would
be easier as well.

.../another doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug" wrote in message
Thanks Leon, yes that occured to me as a solution also but the time frame
complete 98 of these little buggers.....doing it that way....arggghhhh
thanks gotta be a better way.......

After you get the hang of it, it does not take long at all. I tried cutting
and the results were mixed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Another Doug"... yes thought of that but can't figure out how to cut the
opposite sides to the pyramid...2 facing sides is no problem but how to turn
90 degrees to cut the other...make sense? thanks good idea Doug
"Doug Payne" wrote in message
On 11/07/2006 12:13 PM, Doug wrote:

I'm getting ready to finish and arts and crafts style project and it
requires that i make up to 100 3/8"x3/8" square plugs (pyramid on top)

simulate through drawpegs on my mortice and tenon joinery. Tried to

find
something online but all I can find is round screwhole plugs. Anyone

have
an idea how to produce these fairly rapidly? Links thanks

Have you considered round pegs with a square top (i.e. only the visible
part)? You should be able to turn those out pretty quick with a good
plug cutter and some creative sawing. Drilling the mounting holes would
be easier as well.

../another doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug wrote:
I'm getting ready to finish and arts and crafts style project and it
requires that i make up to 100 3/8"x3/8" square plugs (pyramid on top) to
simulate through drawpegs on my mortice and tenon joinery. Tried to find
something online but all I can find is round screwhole plugs. Anyone have
an idea how to produce these fairly rapidly? Links thanks

What about a miter saw set at at 45 degrees? Take a 3/8" square stick a
few feet long, 4 chops off the tip to make the faces, then a final chop
to cut the end off, then wash rinse repeat?

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/07/2006 1:14 PM, Doug wrote:

... can't figure out how to cut the
opposite sides to the pyramid...2 facing sides is no problem but how to turn
90 degrees to cut the other

Belt-sander with a tool-rest?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi,
I have not tried this procedure for your application, but I have made
a number of high volume parts.

Cut a number of parallel V's in a board, rotate it 90 degrees and cut
more V's. I would use a router in a table for this. This creates your
pyramid tops. Then slice them apart. Getting all of the distance right
might be a problem, I suggest that you make a number of spacer strips
with a width of the plug plus a saw kerf. Then you can offset the board
the right amount each cut.

Hope this helps
Roger Haar
Tucson

It might take a bit of experimentation

Doug wrote:
I'm getting ready to finish and arts and crafts style project and it
requires that i make up to 100 3/8"x3/8" square plugs (pyramid on top) to
simulate through drawpegs on my mortice and tenon joinery. Tried to find
something online but all I can find is round screwhole plugs. Anyone have
an idea how to produce these fairly rapidly? Links thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:58:47 -0400, Doug Payne
wrote:

Have you considered round pegs with a square top

Have you been reading that abominable article in the last FWW ?

Any more like that and the subscription goes! I don't spend $10 a copy
to read about chav-tastic tips to dress up chipboard flatpacks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Have you considered round pegs with a square top

Have you been reading that abominable article in the last FWW ?
Any more like that and the subscription goes! I don't spend $10 a copy
to read about chav-tastic tips to dress up chipboard flatpacks.

Nope, haven't seen it. I don't subscribe, but I do on very rare
occasions buy a copy from the newsstand. What article is that, or should
I ask?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug wrote:
Thanks Leon, yes that occured to me as a solution also but the time
frame to complete 98 of these little buggers.....doing it that
way....arggghhhh thanks gotta be a better way.......

They are only 3/8 square, use a sharp knife to bevel the tops. Cut or sand,
that's about it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

My final thought is a couple of passes with a block plane on some 3/8" stock
and then cut on the bandsaw. may be the easiest in the long run...better
put on the coffee pot though...... thanks
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Doug wrote:
Thanks Leon, yes that occured to me as a solution also but the time
frame to complete 98 of these little buggers.....doing it that
way....arggghhhh thanks gotta be a better way.......

They are only 3/8 square, use a sharp knife to bevel the tops. Cut or
sand,
that's about it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:08:43 -0400, Doug Payne
wrote:

Nope, haven't seen it. I don't subscribe, but I do on very rare
occasions buy a copy from the newsstand. What article is that, or should
I ask?

Pyramid-headed square pegs, formed on the ends of round pegs so that
they're easy to drop into arbitrarily placed drilled holes.

Now I do tend to over-react a little to some issues of artistic purity.
Think of it as OCD with chainsaws. I take my view of "Art & Crafts"
_very_ seriously. I regard Ruskin as a dangerous compromiser and
moderate voice, whilst Gimson was a bourgeois dilettante.

My idea of learning to make "arts and crafts furniture" begins by
spending a few years working with timber framers until you understand
pegged tenon joints. _Then_ you can think about putting pyramid headed
pegs into small carcase furniture.

I don't (and won't) use pegs for decoration alone - they're a structural
component of the joint. Quite often the whole piece is unglued anyway,
and it really is just the friction of the peg holding things together.
So not only do I care how I form the heads, but I care where I place the
pegs too. If you see a peg in any of my work, it's holding a joint
together. I'd no more use a superfluous peg than I'd use rainforest
timber.

My favourite method of making pyramid heads is a short article in the
back of FWW some year ago. A short highly skewed chisel with a rounded
ball handle. Use it to pare off each face in turn.

My quickest way of making them (usually for the 1/8" blackwood pegs I
use to hold trays together) is a low-angle block plane and a custom-made
angled shooting board. I bandsaw lots of strip, cut it to double
lengths, plane the ends, then separate in the middle. A twist of the
fingers between some sandpaper and they're ready to go in the hole.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Double angle router bits are available. Start with a stick 3/8x3/8xhowever
long, two passes across the router, one pass through the mitersaw.

"Doug" wrote in message
Thanks Leon, yes that occured to me as a solution also but the time frame

complete 98 of these little buggers.....doing it that way....arggghhhh
thanks gotta be a better way.......

Leon" wrote in message
.com...

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

See the article in the most recent Fine Woodworking magazine

"Doug" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to finish and arts and crafts style project and it
requires that i make up to 100 3/8"x3/8" square plugs (pyramid on top) to
simulate through drawpegs on my mortice and tenon joinery. Tried to find
something online but all I can find is round screwhole plugs. Anyone have
an idea how to produce these fairly rapidly? Links thanks

Telescoping square tubes for e-wheel adjuster? Richard Ferguson Metalworking 5 December 20th 04 01:50 AM
Square Tubing joe Metalworking 0 November 21st 04 12:52 AM
Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post? McQualude Woodworking 68 November 16th 03 07:19 AM
Hip to be square mttt Woodworking 13 October 6th 03 09:38 PM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM