Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I feel like a furniture whore!

I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture. But I
can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing out
the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

So what did I do? I bought chairs and now I feel like a furniture whore
having paid for it!

Geesh!

Stoutman
---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:
I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture. But I
can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing out
the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

You think your average person's cheeks are symmetrical? They're not.
Go ahead, measure. I suggest you measure good-natured people you
already know - or wear a helmet and a cup.

As far as shaping the chair seats, that can be done with a couple or
three router templates to rough them out. If you don't go nuts with
the fine-tuning, they'll look and feel identical.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I can't make them either. So we dropped the assumption
that the chairs must match. None of ours do.
My wife likes to buy semi-antique orphan chairs at thrift
shops, second hand stores, etc. I get to restore the broken
or missing parts, then she refinishes them. We never fail
to elicit positive responses from guests on our eclectic
"set" of chairs.

Art

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...
I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture. But I
can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing out
the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

So what did I do? I bought chairs and now I feel like a furniture whore
having paid for it!

Geesh!

Stoutman
---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I never made a chair before either - and never thought I would, but I
did a copy of a shaker ladder back, and then I did a set of 4 more
with what I learned from that one.

The set of 4 are better than the first one, which actually wasn't bad.
I wove the seats and they are very comfortable, and fit many
a butt shape, as they are self adjusting.

I like them so much I am going to make more.
Take a chance - you will learn something. Then you can return the ones
you bought. You just need a push - get on it dude.

On 7 Jul 2006 15:58:53 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Stoutman wrote:
I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture. But I
can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing out
the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

You think your average person's cheeks are symmetrical? They're not.
Go ahead, measure. I suggest you measure good-natured people you
already know - or wear a helmet and a cup.

As far as shaping the chair seats, that can be done with a couple or
three router templates to rough them out. If you don't go nuts with
the fine-tuning, they'll look and feel identical.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:

I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture. But I
can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing out
the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

What's wrong with upholstered seats? ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:42:04 -0400, "no(SPAM)vasys"
wrote:

Stoutman wrote:

I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture. But I
can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing out
the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

What's wrong with upholstered seats? ;-)

There's a possibility! Piece of plywood - foam and ---vinyl - no
leather?
Or springs There is a kind upholsterers use.
Why do the seats have to be consitent?
So many questions - what did you pay for the chairs?
Would it have been worth making a set?
Are they just for sitting on?
Can you make a table?

Posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote:

Stoutman wrote:

I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture.
But I
can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing
out
the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

What's wrong with upholstered seats? ;-)

The wife doesn't want upholstered chairs for the kitchen. This one is out
of my control.

There's a possibility! Piece of plywood - foam and ---vinyl - no
leather?
Or springs There is a kind upholsterers use.
Why do the seats have to be consitent?

I'm a perfectionist. Aren't all woodworkers ?

So many questions - what did you pay for the chairs?

$199/chair solid maple stained cherry'ish.

Would it have been worth making a set?

If I knew how to dish out the chairs. I'm gonna try and make one soon. I
promise!?

Are they just for sitting on?

Yep.

Can you make a table?

Yes.
Already made it. See:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Cherry_Table.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 22:17:59 GMT, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture. But I
can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing out
the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

See now I'd be afraid of dinner with the relatives 10 years down the
road while you're telling the story of how you made the chairs you
hear a distinct *crack* and have just enough time to think "uh oh"
before Aunt Mary suddenly disappears.

But if the store bought ones do that you can surely get a new tool or
two out of SWMBO.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Stoutman wrote:
I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture. But I
can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing out
the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

So what did I do? I bought chairs and now I feel like a furniture whore
having paid for it!

There's no shame in buying chairs. I hate buying furniture too, but my
time in the shop is so limited.. Other repairs in the house to do as
well (had a major disaster in master bathroom, leak behind wall, rotten
subfloor, required complete tear down, still working on it).. Anyhow,
I've got at least a 2 year backlog.. I bought chairs too a couple years
ago. I figured the kids shouldn't be on social security before they can
sit at the "big" table.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...
I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture. But I
can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing out
the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

I intend to try making my first chairs in a simpler design, just to get
going. Ikea has some designs that you could easily match to your table.
There are a couple here

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=15564

but I've seen many others that only involve flat boards. Consider making a
set of these for utility while you work on perfecting the carved version.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:22:16 GMT, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

Can you make a table?

Yes.
Already made it. See:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Cherry_Table.htm

Nice one too - cherry is a wood to love. Think how easily the seats
would carve and the beauty of the grain following those carvings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:

I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture. But
can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing
out the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

So copy some Frank Lloyd Wright chair designs. Many of them are pretty
straightforward and look great and when it turns out that they are
instruments of torture you can blame the Great Man Himself, who admitted on
more than one occasion that he had never quite gotten the hang of was
chairs.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...
I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture. But I
can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing out
the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

So what did I do? I bought chairs and now I feel like a furniture whore
having paid for it!

You ARE a whore! We all are at some time or another. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...
I paid for some!! I promised myself I would buy NO more furniture. But
I can't make chairs man! Or is it I'm scared? I'm afraid of the dishing
out the seat part and keeping it consistent from chair to chair.

So what did I do? I bought chairs and now I feel like a furniture whore
having paid for it!

Hmmm.... sounds like you are more of a John than a Ho...