Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building a Functional Weathervane Cupola

I need to re-build a cupola for a weathervane and want to make it
functional so that the weathervane actually indicates wind direction.
The problem is, I'm not sure of the mechanism needed to do this. I'm
thinking of getting two bearings that I can add to the weathervane
support rod, one at the bottom and one where the rod comes out of the
cupola so that the weathervance can spin in the bearings. The
bearings would sit in a pocket drilled in a wood support.
Does it sould like this could work or is there a standard way of
doing this?

George

Posted to rec.woodworking

"georgepag" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to re-build a cupola for a weathervane and want to make it
functional so that the weathervane actually indicates wind direction.
The problem is, I'm not sure of the mechanism needed to do this. I'm
thinking of getting two bearings that I can add to the weathervane
support rod, one at the bottom and one where the rod comes out of the
cupola so that the weathervance can spin in the bearings. The
bearings would sit in a pocket drilled in a wood support.
Does it sould like this could work or is there a standard way of
doing this?

Dat wood work.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

georgepag wrote:

I need to re-build a cupola for a weathervane and want to make it
functional so that the weathervane actually indicates wind direction.
The problem is, I'm not sure of the mechanism needed to do this. I'm
thinking of getting two bearings that I can add to the weathervane
support rod, one at the bottom and one where the rod comes out of the
cupola so that the weathervance can spin in the bearings. The
bearings would sit in a pocket drilled in a wood support.
Does it sould like this could work or is there a standard way of
doing this?

This is very similar application to a sailboat rudder.

I'd make the bearings, a couple of sleeve and a thrust from UHMWPE and
use a bronze or stainless steel shaft.

No maintenance req'd.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"georgepag" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to re-build a cupola for a weathervane and want to make it
functional so that the weathervane actually indicates wind direction.
The problem is, I'm not sure of the mechanism needed to do this. I'm
thinking of getting two bearings that I can add to the weathervane
support rod, one at the bottom and one where the rod comes out of the
cupola so that the weathervance can spin in the bearings. The
bearings would sit in a pocket drilled in a wood support.
Does it sould like this could work or is there a standard way of
doing this?

George

Think of a dull pencil, spinning in a bottlecap. Make the bottlecap from
UHMWPE, make a small depression where the shaft (pencil) rests. Make a
bushing from some more UHMWPE. Make the shaft from stainless steel. Make a
small 3" umbrella that is welded over the shaft 1/4" above the point where
the shaft enters the cupola.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6 Jul 2006 07:40:36 -0700, "georgepag"
wrote:

I need to re-build a cupola for a weathervane and want to make it
functional so that the weathervane actually indicates wind direction.
The problem is, I'm not sure of the mechanism needed to do this.

Single bearing, mounted high up above the centre of gravity and with the
vane balanced around it. Traditional bearing is the dimpled bottom of a
champagne bottle, running on a bronze spike.

You don't need something ultra-low-friction, or that claims to last
forever. You need something that's crude enough it just keeps on
working, even when it is worn out.