Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Building a Functional Weathervane Cupola

georgepag wrote:

I need to re-build a cupola for a weathervane and want to make it
functional so that the weathervane actually indicates wind direction.
The problem is, I'm not sure of the mechanism needed to do this. I'm
thinking of getting two bearings that I can add to the weathervane
support rod, one at the bottom and one where the rod comes out of the
cupola so that the weathervance can spin in the bearings. The
bearings would sit in a pocket drilled in a wood support.
Does it sould like this could work or is there a standard way of
doing this?

This is very similar application to a sailboat rudder.

I'd make the bearings, a couple of sleeve and a thrust from UHMWPE and
use a bronze or stainless steel shaft.

No maintenance req'd.

Lew