Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Default Toe Kick Drawer Question

Hi all,

I'm trying to design a bathroom linen closet and would like to include a
variation on the toe kick drawer idea. I would like to use the drawer to
hide the bathroom scale. This would save a lot of floor space in a tiny
room.

The concerns I have are over support and stability. Can I get slides
that will support at least 300 lbs? Secondly, when the drawer is fully
extended I would like to have it "lock" in place so someone can stand on
the scale without it slipping back into the cabinet. It would be nice if
this "locking" mechanism could be unlocked without having to bend over.

Thanks for the advice and references.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 20:00:47 -0400, Mark Witczak
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to design a bathroom linen closet and would like to include a
variation on the toe kick drawer idea. I would like to use the drawer to
hide the bathroom scale. This would save a lot of floor space in a tiny
room.

The concerns I have are over support and stability. Can I get slides
that will support at least 300 lbs? Secondly, when the drawer is fully
extended I would like to have it "lock" in place so someone can stand on
the scale without it slipping back into the cabinet. It would be nice if
this "locking" mechanism could be unlocked without having to bend over.

Rather than the drawer slides supporting all the weight I would be
thinking of having a couple feet at the front and allow the "drawer"
to tip a bit when fully extended so the feet can reach the floor. Or
use locking casters.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Mark Witczak wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to design a bathroom linen closet and would like to include a
variation on the toe kick drawer idea. I would like to use the drawer to
hide the bathroom scale. This would save a lot of floor space in a tiny
room.

The concerns I have are over support and stability. Can I get slides
that will support at least 300 lbs? Secondly, when the drawer is fully
extended I would like to have it "lock" in place so someone can stand on
the scale without it slipping back into the cabinet. It would be nice if
this "locking" mechanism could be unlocked without having to bend over.

Thanks for the advice and references.

Mark

I haven't seen any drawer slides with a locking mechanism but heavy-duty
slides are certainly available at a price.

http://www.rockler.com/Tech/9301.pdf

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
MB MB is offline

Why not just have the "drawer" slide on the floor. You could add UHMW
poly runners, but I'm not sure that's even necessary. For a drawer
latch get the type where you push the door, and pops the door open,
then when you push again it latches closed. You'd have to rig a spring
or two behind the drawer (between the back of the drawer and the wall).
In use, you would push the front of the drawer with your toe, the
drawer pops out a bit, then you drag the drawer fully open with you
toes.

Mitch

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Mark Witczak wrote:

I'm trying to design a bathroom linen closet and would like to include a
variation on the toe kick drawer idea. I would like to use the drawer to
hide the bathroom scale. This would save a lot of floor space in a tiny
room.

The concerns I have are over support and stability. Can I get slides
that will support at least 300 lbs? Secondly, when the drawer is fully
extended I would like to have it "lock" in place so someone can stand on
the scale without it slipping back into the cabinet. It would be nice if
this "locking" mechanism could be unlocked without having to bend over.

Support at least 300 pounds? Most scales only go up to 280 or 300
pounds, but if you're in that territory I'd seriously reconsider the
drawer slides idea. You need some fold down support, maybe
incorporated into the drawer front, or have the scale fold down, with
supporting fold out feet. It could be mounted on the closet door or
inside the cabinet at the bottom.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Mark Witczak wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to design a bathroom linen closet and would like to include a
variation on the toe kick drawer idea. I would like to use the drawer to
hide the bathroom scale. This would save a lot of floor space in a tiny
room.

The concerns I have are over support and stability. Can I get slides
that will support at least 300 lbs? Secondly, when the drawer is fully
extended I would like to have it "lock" in place so someone can stand on
the scale without it slipping back into the cabinet. It would be nice if
this "locking" mechanism could be unlocked without having to bend over.

Thanks for the advice and references.

Mark

Get a nice electronic scale with a wall mount remote display and build
the scale into the floor. Can put matching flooring on top and just zero
the scale for it.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Mark Witczak wrote:

I'm trying to design a bathroom linen closet and would like to include a
variation on the toe kick drawer idea. I would like to use the drawer to
hide the bathroom scale.

Can I get slides that will support at least 300 lbs?

Non locking, but they're rated to 400lbs for "frequent use", or 500lbs
for "moderate use". (Although technically not rated for supporting humans.)

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...614,43620&ap=1

They're $49 for a pair of 18" slides.

Chris

Help locating drawer slide hardware Joe Bott Woodworking 4 August 25th 05 02:45 PM
drawers leonard Woodworking 11 June 20th 05 05:14 PM
drawer construction question [email protected] Woodworking 1 January 25th 05 03:27 AM
Drawer material preference Roland Hart Woodworking 8 January 23rd 04 04:37 AM
Question about building a drawer Melissa Woodworking 5 January 2nd 04 06:24 PM