Posted to rec.woodworking

Default PT Lumber Scam?

Around here, pressure treated lumber has historically been Southern
Yellow Pine. SYP is one of the stronger construction species, with
fiber stress rating ranging from maybe 1200 up to 1800 or more,
depending on the grade. I've used these numbers for designing decks
for years.

On a recent deck project, I was at Home Depot on a Sunday to buy some
PT lumber, when I noticed the stamp on the boards said the species was
Red Pine. Looking up Red Pine, I find the fiber stress rating is under
1000. Dismayed, I called my normal supplier (a real lumber yard), and
asked them what species their PT lumber was.

"Well, Southern Yellow Pine, of course", was the answer.

I wonder how many people are underbuilding their decks because some
retailers are substituting weaker wood for their PT lumber when many
assume they are getting SYP?

Posted to rec.woodworking

ed_h wrote:
Around here, pressure treated lumber has historically been Southern
Yellow Pine. SYP is one of the stronger construction species, with
fiber stress rating ranging from maybe 1200 up to 1800 or more,
depending on the grade. I've used these numbers for designing decks
for years.

On a recent deck project, I was at Home Depot on a Sunday to buy some
PT lumber, when I noticed the stamp on the boards said the species was
Red Pine. Looking up Red Pine, I find the fiber stress rating is under
1000. Dismayed, I called my normal supplier (a real lumber yard), and
asked them what species their PT lumber was.

"Well, Southern Yellow Pine, of course", was the answer.

I wonder how many people are underbuilding their decks because some
retailers are substituting weaker wood for their PT lumber when many
assume they are getting SYP?

Thanks for the heads up. I thought all PTL was SYP.

Posted to rec.woodworking
BB BB is offline

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...

ed_h wrote:
[...]

Depends where you are - in the Pac NW it is Doug Fir. . .

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:

ed_h wrote:

I wonder how many people are underbuilding their decks because some
retailers are substituting weaker wood for their PT lumber when many
assume they are getting SYP?

Thanks for the heads up. I thought all PTL was SYP.

Around my parts it's stamped "SPF",(Spruce, Pine or Fir).

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
cm cm is offline

Standard op for HD is to make their suppliers lower prices each year if that
supplier would like to continue doing business with HD. Many times that
supplier or manufacturer must lower quality to meet that demand. At the same
time HD has taken the top 10% selling items in each category within their
stores and had those items copied and imported themselves taking another hit
at the supplier. They have done this with Klein, Wallboard, Stanley, Dewalt,
Hunter, and many other suppliers.

I was involved with several manufacturers that supplied HD and Lowe's. They
would buy a 4 way light switch from us for $1.75 and retail it for $12.99 or
a wooden paint extension handle for .69 and retail it for $6.99 or how about
a wood handle drywall knife for $1.99 and a retail of $8.99. Pretty nice
markup for HD yet they keep beating on the suppliers for lower prices while
raising them at the retail end.

rant, rant, rant

cm

"ed_h" wrote in message
ps.com...
Around here, pressure treated lumber has historically been Southern
Yellow Pine. SYP is one of the stronger construction species, with
fiber stress rating ranging from maybe 1200 up to 1800 or more,
depending on the grade. I've used these numbers for designing decks
for years.

On a recent deck project, I was at Home Depot on a Sunday to buy some
PT lumber, when I noticed the stamp on the boards said the species was
Red Pine. Looking up Red Pine, I find the fiber stress rating is under
1000. Dismayed, I called my normal supplier (a real lumber yard), and
asked them what species their PT lumber was.

"Well, Southern Yellow Pine, of course", was the answer.

I wonder how many people are underbuilding their decks because some
retailers are substituting weaker wood for their PT lumber when many
assume they are getting SYP?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 Jul 2006 10:43:37 -0700, "ed_h" wrote:

The problem is the predatory nature of Home Depot. "CM" , in his
post, exposed only a smidgen of the really nasty things they do. They
have utter contempt for the customers, stocking only what moves off
their shelves at the greatest profit and having no consideration
whatsoever for the needs of their customers. That is why you will
find gloves in "one size fits all." They have put all the small
hardware stores out of business by lowering their prices in the
initial phase of their plan. Now that the small hdw. stores are a
thing of the past they are free to gouge their customers at will.

They have a gaggle of lawyers to oppose those who are injured in thier
stores (I'm fortunately not one of them and write this as neither a
former hdw. store owner or one who has been injured at HD). A number
of people of been killed by stock falling off their high shelves.
What to they do about it? They have decided it is cheaper to hire
lawyers than to do anything to provide for customer safety.

They abuse their customers, their suppliers, their suppliers, their
communities.

They (Lowe's, too) represent the absolute worst of corporate malice in
the United States.

My two cents.

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bleau wrote:
On 5 Jul 2006 10:43:37 -0700, "ed_h" wrote:
The problem is the predatory nature of Home Depot.

They (Lowe's, too) represent the absolute worst of corporate malice in
the United States.

I'd have to say that the honour of "worst corporate malice" really
should go to Walmart, not HD.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
cm cm is offline

Yup....I would say Walmart makes HD and Lowes look like rookies. Lowes
always treated vendors and reps better than HD.

cm

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Joe Bleau wrote:
On 5 Jul 2006 10:43:37 -0700, "ed_h" wrote:
The problem is the predatory nature of Home Depot.

They (Lowe's, too) represent the absolute worst of corporate malice in
the United States.

I'd have to say that the honour of "worst corporate malice" really should
go to Walmart, not HD.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
BB BB is offline

Joe Bleau wrote:
On 5 Jul 2006 10:43:37 -0700, "ed_h" wrote:
The problem is the predatory nature of Home Depot.

They (Lowe's, too) represent the absolute worst of corporate malice in
the United States.

I'd have to say that the honour of "worst corporate malice" really
should go to Walmart, not HD.

Chris

Well since we are talking "scum level" does it really matter which is the
lowest of the low?

BB