Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner

Default Old,old timber posts

I have a 100 + year old building that will be coming down. It has 10"x10"
posts on 8'x12' centers...hundreds of them. I don't know what species but
they are hard as rock. Is it worth trying to find out what they are, find a
market and salvage these?

Posted to rec.woodworking
IBM5081

Could be old-growth pine. We took down an old corn crib a few years
ago. Beautiful wood.
We sanded it down and removed all the nails so that it could be resawed
on a bandsaw without ruining the blade. Made some wonderful bookcases
in the church pastor's office.

Tom Gardner nospam wrote:
I have a 100 + year old building that will be coming down. It has 10"x10"
posts on 8'x12' centers...hundreds of them. I don't know what species but
they are hard as rock. Is it worth trying to find out what they are, find a
market and salvage these?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob AZ

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
I have a 100 + year old building that will be coming down. It has 10"x10"
posts on 8'x12' centers...hundreds of them. I don't know what species but
they are hard as rock. Is it worth trying to find out what they are, find a
market and salvage these?

Tom

Does a bear live in the woods? Yes there sure is. They will bring
plenty where I live. Particularly if you clean out the nails etc.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner

"RjK" wrote in message
Where are you located?

Cleveland Ohio

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.com...
I have a 100 + year old building that will be coming down. It has 10"x10"
posts on 8'x12' centers...hundreds of them. I don't know what species but
they are hard as rock. Is it worth trying to find out what they are, find
a market and salvage these?

There are many businesses that recycle timbers like these. Some of the
timber frame house companies do this or work with compinies that do. Just
about any kind of old big wood will be valuable to somebody. Many luxury
homes claim recycled timbers like these.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Tom Gardner wrote:

Cleveland Ohio

What part?

Your post almost makes me want to come backG.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Jun 2006 15:31:41 -0700, "Bob AZ" wrote:

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
I have a 100 + year old building that will be coming down. It has 10"x10"
posts on 8'x12' centers...hundreds of them. I don't know what species but
they are hard as rock. Is it worth trying to find out what they are, find a
market and salvage these?

Tom

Does a bear live in the woods? Yes there sure is. They will bring
plenty where I live. Particularly if you clean out the nails etc.
Bob AZ

I guess so, cacti just don't take a finish very well

Scorp
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lyndell Thompson

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.com...
I have a 100 + year old building that will be coming down. It has 10"x10"
posts on 8'x12' centers...hundreds of them. I don't know what species but
they are hard as rock. Is it worth trying to find out what they are, find
a market and salvage these?

Tom, try to see if the building was ever used to store alcoholic
beverages..........then check out this site:
http://www.whiskeywood.com/site/
Pretty cool huh!
Good luck Lyndell

P.S. I need to place an order for some wire brushes. I keep getting busy and
forgetting. Anyway let me know if you are going to offer some of these
timbers on a buy and pick up basis. I may want a few of these. Always
looking for something to turn or build with. Someone with a bandsaw could
rip them to dimensional sizes.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.net...
Tom Gardner wrote:

Cleveland Ohio

What part?

Your post almost makes me want to come backG.

Lew

Near East side, Buckeye/Woodland area...E.82nd street. Mapquest: 2680
Lisbon

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

I sell to the public...no problem there, call toll-free: 888-411-3265
Timbers are still supporting the building, so you would have to take one and
run real fast.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Tom Gardner wrote:

Near East side, Buckeye/Woodland area...E.82nd street. Mapquest: 2680
Lisbon

Small bloody world.

I lived a couple of different places, while going to school, just off
Buckeye or as it was known back then "pesht blvd" since it was a first
generation Hungarian neighborhood.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
news
Tom Gardner wrote:

Near East side, Buckeye/Woodland area...E.82nd street. Mapquest: 2680
Lisbon

Small bloody world.

I lived a couple of different places, while going to school, just off
Buckeye or as it was known back then "pesht blvd" since it was a first
generation Hungarian neighborhood.

Lew

Not too many Hungarians left.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Tom Gardner wrote:

Not too many Hungarians left.

I hear ya.

Times change, people and neighborhoods also change.

From memory, you must be somewhere near the old facilities of that
fastner manufacturing outfit that moved to Mentor and later, either
sold out or was shut down.

Can't remember the name of the company.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
DT

We are on the near-east side. Buckeye/Woodland area. Mapquest 2680 lisbon

I have been driving right by there the past week. We rebuilt two porches on
128th Street just off Buckeye. I have to go back to one to finish some trim,
I'll take a peek at your project. The timber sounds like it should be quite
'sellable'. A guy I worked with tore down old buildings and sold the timber and
he even went to adjoining states to get buildings.

--
Dennis

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner

"DT" wrote in message

We are on the near-east side. Buckeye/Woodland area. Mapquest 2680 lisbon

I have been driving right by there the past week. We rebuilt two porches
on
128th Street just off Buckeye. I have to go back to one to finish some
trim,
I'll take a peek at your project. The timber sounds like it should be
quite
'sellable'. A guy I worked with tore down old buildings and sold the
timber and
he even went to adjoining states to get buildings.

--
Dennis

Stop by anytime m-f 10-5. Call me at 216-791-3265, I'll show you.

Using old Barn timber outside? How to treat? HotRod Home Repair 5 July 5th 05 01:18 PM
Garden fence posts Mortimer UK diy 8 February 6th 04 11:50 AM
Conservatory in Timber Mark B UK diy 7 October 31st 03 04:55 PM
Garage - timber for roof trusses Paul UK diy 1 August 18th 03 09:27 AM
Concrete Fence Posts - setting out Rick Hughes UK diy 4 July 11th 03 08:45 PM