Posted to rec.woodworking

Default working with Lyptus

Has anyone in this group worked with Lyptus lumber. I have 350 BF of
this stuff and I am just now ripping it on the bandsaw. It creates
such a fine dust that it's getting into my eyes and nose through the
dust mask. My mask is high end and is the same one I use to spray
Acylic paints. The dust is irritating the hell out of my sinuses and
my eyes feel like they want to close up.

Is it just me or have others here gotten the same symptoms from the
Lyptus dust? Or maybe I have an allergy. Or maybe there is a write
up on the wood's toxicity. Or maybe it's just me.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

I find lyptus dust rather annoying but a respirator (not just a dust mask)
does it for me. The real fun is when you build something with this stuff.
Dimensional stability is not it's strong suite. Don't cut to size, fit
joints ect and let it lay around. It will move enough to make you think you
screwed up. Fit and assemble in short order. I don't know what will happen
to furniture made from it over the long term. Going to have to wait and see.
I won't be using any more of it.

wrote in message ...
Has anyone in this group worked with Lyptus lumber. I have 350 BF of
this stuff and I am just now ripping it on the bandsaw. It creates
such a fine dust that it's getting into my eyes and nose through the
dust mask. My mask is high end and is the same one I use to spray
Acylic paints. The dust is irritating the hell out of my sinuses and
my eyes feel like they want to close up.

Is it just me or have others here gotten the same symptoms from the
Lyptus dust? Or maybe I have an allergy. Or maybe there is a write
up on the wood's toxicity. Or maybe it's just me.

Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

A good many of the tropical wooods will cause
severe reactions to the dust. I bought a
couple thousand board feet of african wood
at an auction and I have found that it is
extremely nasty in a dust form.

You can develop some very severe allergies to
some of these woods.

Any wood that can be left outdoors and not
attacked by any known insects including termites
is a pretty risky to work with.

wrote:

Has anyone in this group worked with Lyptus lumber. I have 350 BF of
this stuff and I am just now ripping it on the bandsaw. It creates
such a fine dust that it's getting into my eyes and nose through the
dust mask. My mask is high end and is the same one I use to spray
Acylic paints. The dust is irritating the hell out of my sinuses and
my eyes feel like they want to close up.

Is it just me or have others here gotten the same symptoms from the
Lyptus dust? Or maybe I have an allergy. Or maybe there is a write
up on the wood's toxicity. Or maybe it's just me.

Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Moos

Pat Barber wrote:
A good many of the tropical wooods will cause
severe reactions to the dust. I bought a
couple thousand board feet of african wood
at an auction and I have found that it is
extremely nasty in a dust form.

Do you by chance know if that problem extends to "African Mahogany"?
My hardwood dealer has this, and it's significantly less expensive
than Honduran Mahognany. I'm in the process of planning a project
and may have to rethink it if the African Mahogany is going to be
something that produces dust that could cause an allergic reaction.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dhakala

Bob Moos wrote:
Pat Barber wrote:
A good many of the tropical wooods will cause
severe reactions to the dust. I bought a
couple thousand board feet of african wood
at an auction and I have found that it is
extremely nasty in a dust form.

Do you by chance know if that problem extends to "African Mahogany"?
My hardwood dealer has this, and it's significantly less expensive
than Honduran Mahognany. I'm in the process of planning a project
and may have to rethink it if the African Mahogany is going to be
something that produces dust that could cause an allergic reaction.

Many African tree species go by the name "African Mahogany." Most of
them are reported to cause mild allergic reactions in significant
percentages of those who work with them.

Buy a piece, make a bird house, and see how you fare.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Moos

Dhakala wrote:

Many African tree species go by the name "African Mahogany." Most of
them are reported to cause mild allergic reactions in significant
percentages of those who work with them.

Buy a piece, make a bird house, and see how you fare.

That's a cool idea. I'm not particularly interested in bird
houses, but I'm sure I can come up with a variety of other small scale
projects to test things out.

Thanks for the idea and tip!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:12:12 -0500, "Bob Moos"
wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:
A good many of the tropical wooods will cause
severe reactions to the dust. I bought a
couple thousand board feet of african wood
at an auction and I have found that it is
extremely nasty in a dust form.

Do you by chance know if that problem extends to "African Mahogany"?
My hardwood dealer has this, and it's significantly less expensive
than Honduran Mahognany. I'm in the process of planning a project
and may have to rethink it if the African Mahogany is going to be
something that produces dust that could cause an allergic reaction.

I suppose anything could cause an allergic reaction, but I've used a
fairish amount of African Mahogany, and it's never been a problem.
Nice looking stuff, really good red color in a lot of it, and it
machines better than almost anything else I've encountered. Well
worth getting a piece or two and using it to see if you'll have a
problem with the dust.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Moos

Prometheus wrote:

I suppose anything could cause an allergic reaction, but I've used a
fairish amount of African Mahogany, and it's never been a problem.

Thanks for the feed-back on that. Good to know.

Nice looking stuff, really good red color in a lot of it, and it
machines better than almost anything else I've encountered. Well worth
getting a piece or two and using it to see if you'll have a problem
with the dust.

Think I'll try a few boxes and see what happens.

Thanks!