Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

Default Forehead slapper.. screw extraction

This is probably one of those old tricks that everyone but me knows, but I
thought I'd share it..

I was driving screws and the head broke off of one... I reached in the drawer
for the vice grips and then decided to try taking the driver bit out of the
drill and tightening the chuck over the broken screw..

Sure as hell, when I reversed the drill, the screw backed out smoothly...

Why didn't some one tell me about that 40 years ago? *sigh*

Sort of like the tip I read here in the wRECk a few years ago about tapping a
screw hole in oak with a steel screw before using the brass ones.... lots of
things that some folks "assume" that everyone knows..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lyndell Thompson

"mac davis" wrote in message
This is probably one of those old tricks that everyone but me knows, but I
thought I'd share it..

I was driving screws and the head broke off of one... I reached in the
drawer
for the vice grips and then decided to try taking the driver bit out of
the
drill and tightening the chuck over the broken screw..

Sure as hell, when I reversed the drill, the screw backed out smoothly...

Why didn't some one tell me about that 40 years ago? *sigh*

Sort of like the tip I read here in the wRECk a few years ago about
tapping a
screw hole in oak with a steel screw before using the brass ones.... lots
of
things that some folks "assume" that everyone knows..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Thanks Mac for the tip. I will remember that one. I showed one of the guys
at work how a left hand twist drill works(ground left hand rotation) for
removing a broken bolt. He says don't you still need the easy
out.........nope, about that time it broke loose and spun the broken bolt
out. There is nothing like them for a broken bolt. They reduce the pressure
on the middle of the bolt and unlike an easy out they don't expand the bolt
and make it tighter. There's another one you may or may not know. :-)
Lyndell

screw keeps turning dundonald UK diy 15 October 26th 18 07:18 AM
Is screw too soft ? pogo Metalworking 13 March 6th 06 07:42 PM
New Clifton Chip Breaker - Old Stanley Screw Won't Fit Ted Franklin Woodworking 4 February 20th 06 02:34 AM
Screw Fix delivery times Maximus Glutimus UK diy 27 September 2nd 03 10:36 PM
imperial grub screw BAH UK diy 1 August 27th 03 11:45 PM