Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default New Dust Collector Questions

Kicking and screaming I have been pulled into the 21st century as far as
small shop dust collection is concerned. I finally caved. DANG that new
Laguna BS produces a lot of fine dust. Until now I have let a good fan at
my back blow the dust away from me and out the door.
So, I bought the Jet 1100 CFM canister collector with remote control
and timer . For about 2 hours I was visiting with Swingman today and he has
the same collector and now I have a few questions concerning hooking up the
hoses. Did I think to ask Swingman how his was set up? Did I look at his
while in his shop?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... I did not.

A few questions

1. I do not want permanent hook ups. I bough 2, 10' clear 4" hoses with
the metal coiled reinforcement from Rockler, for 50% off. I bought the
plastic ends to connect to the collector and the equipment. The pieces are
threaded so that they can be attached to the hoses with out hose clamps, or
so I thought. They have opposite threads. This worked like trying to
thread a left handed nut on to a right handed bolt. I forced it on about 2
inches but it easily came off. I called Rockler and they indicated that
they don't actually screw on and I would have force them on and perhaps use
clamps. Why pay extra for threaded ends if you still have to use clamps?
Are there opposite threaded ends available?

2. THE GROUND WIRE. Since my hose is plastic and the ends will be plastic
and there will be no metal to metal contact between the collector and say
the TS or stationary planer, what do I attach the ground wire to? I want
to move from machine to machine by simply slipping the hose off.

3. How does the braided ground wire differ from the coiled wire molded into
the clear hose?

4. Should I wrap the braided ground wire around the hose and tape or
tape along side the hose?

Thanks.