Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Lomax

Default Plans for a Platform Bed with Storage?

Hello, Everyone.

Does anyone out there have some suggestions as to where I can purchase
plans for a platform bed with storage?

I am looking for a set of plans that is geared to the beginning or
intermediate woodworker

Of the "free" plans I have found on Google thus far, I have not been
pleased with their designs.

--
Ed Lomax (edlomax at earthlink dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Edward Lomax wrote:
Does anyone out there have some suggestions as to where I can purchase
plans for a platform bed with storage?

I don't, but you could probably find some good ideas at your local
Barnes & Noble or Borders. And then if you want the book you can get
it from your local independent bookseller. Please.

Another thought is to not use the bed for storage at all. Heavy energy
or something - the feng-shui folks recommend against it. I'm either
freaking out or becoming more in tune with that type of stuff, because
I no longer like my junk stored under the bed. YMMV.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

posted & mailed

Edward Lomax wrote:

Hello, Everyone.

Does anyone out there have some suggestions as to where I can purchase
plans for a platform bed with storage?

I am looking for a set of plans that is geared to the beginning or
intermediate woodworker

Of the "free" plans I have found on Google thus far, I have not been
pleased with their designs.

Visit any furniture store that specializes in Scandinavian furniture and
look closely at what's on display--conceptually they're pretty simple, the
trick is mostly in the fit of the drawers and the finish.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking
Owamanga

On 15 Jun 2006 05:58:41 -0700, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

Edward Lomax wrote:
Does anyone out there have some suggestions as to where I can purchase
plans for a platform bed with storage?

I don't, but you could probably find some good ideas at your local
Barnes & Noble or Borders. And then if you want the book you can get
it from your local independent bookseller. Please.

pffft, why? Pay more, and miss out the luxury of a mocha latte. Not to
mention having to wait for the book to come into stock, having to tell
the axe-murderer who runs the place your address and finally
discovering that your 10% discount card isn't accepted there...
Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Edward Lomax wrote:
Hello, Everyone.

Does anyone out there have some suggestions as to where I can purchase
plans for a platform bed with storage?

I am looking for a set of plans that is geared to the beginning or
intermediate woodworker

Of the "free" plans I have found on Google thus far, I have not been
pleased with their designs.

--
Ed Lomax (edlomax at earthlink dot net)

I plan to do something similiar when I get caught up with my other
projects. I'm going to make a queen sized verson. I haven't seen many
plans, but on one I did see, they didn't put a drawer near the
headboard, because it's generally assumed that you won't be able to
open that drawer with a nightstand next to it anyhow.

I'm trying to think of putting some kind of secret/concealed
compartment in it as well, just for fun, but it might also be a
practical way to hide small stuff when we go on vacation.

I'm going to make the headboard from WoodSmith #145. I like the blanket
chest they have in that issue too.. here's the link
http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/volume-25/
I'll probably add some kind of footboard as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Owamanga wrote:

pffft, why? Pay more, and miss out the luxury of a mocha latte. Not to
mention having to wait for the book to come into stock, having to tell
the axe-murderer who runs the place your address and finally
discovering that your 10% discount card isn't accepted there...

Sounds like you've got a lousy independent bookstore near you, in which
case I don't blame you for not shopping there. That said, if you have
to have the book immediately, at the lowest cost and with a mocha latte
then even a good indy probably wouldn't be able to help. I'm just not
convinced that the economic impact of big box retailers and etailers
competing only on price is worth savings. Game theory rearing it's
ugly head once again....

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

"bf" wrote in message
ups.com...

Edward Lomax wrote:
[...]

Yea, tell me about it! I built one like I seen at a furniture store. I knew
the guy that owned it so he let me take a few pictures. I made my king size
with ten drawers, five to a side. It was great when I put it in, then I
built matching night stands. Now the front two drawers are for stuff I never
want to see again! I wondered why the original had a void of space towards
the head!