Posted to rec.woodworking
Ian Edwards

Default Chair sugestions

I am a social worker, doing some activity therapy with an 11 year old boy
with some learning disability. He wants to build himself [with my help] a
chair for his bed room. My skills are competent, however I want to make it
reasonable simple since I don't have access to my work shop when I am with
him and would like to use as many portable tools as possible so he will be
part of the process. I wood appreciate suggestions for designs, pictures ,
plans or web sites would be great.
Thanks
Ian

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am a social worker, doing some activity therapy with an 11 year old boy
with some learning disability. He wants to build himself [with my help] a
chair for his bed room..... I wood [pun?] appreciate suggestions for designs, pictures ,
plans or web sites would be great.

A while back I made a movie about using woodworking to teach learning
disabled children. One of the projects was an Adirondack-type chair.
Contact The Lab School in Washington, DC and see if they have an
available CVD ot VHS.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Ian Edwards wrote:
I am a social worker, doing some activity therapy with an 11 year old boy
with some learning disability. He wants to build himself [with my help] a
chair for his bed room. My skills are competent, however I want to make it
reasonable simple since I don't have access to my work shop when I am with
him and would like to use as many portable tools as possible so he will be
part of the process. I wood appreciate suggestions for designs, pictures ,
plans or web sites would be great.
Thanks
Ian

I've never built a chair before, but this might not be the greatest
"Starter" project.
Of course, it depends on the kid. He'd probably get a big kick out of
just doing some of the sanding, assembly, and maybe staining.

Is there any way you could precut most of the pieces and make a chair
"kit" out of it?

Another thing.. there are some roundover hand tools at woodcraft. They
are called "cornering tools" in case the link doesn't work... They
aren't that expensive, and would let him do some of the work. Don't
know how well they work, but they seem ok.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=564

Posted to rec.woodworking
John

Kreg has a chair plan using pocket screws.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

Do a Google search for "plywood chair plans". There are a bunch available
and some look relatively easy to build.

--
Charley

"bf" wrote in message