Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How To Cut Veneer On a curved path

Hi All;
Am refinishing the inside of an Airstream trailer. Going to
use veneer throughout. Try to determine how to cut the two
ends of the trailer pieces. Looks like I will need at least six
pieces to make the complete curve at each end. Short of
using lots of tar paper for templates, just not sure how to go
about making straight wood fit into curved corners.
Thanks for your time and efforts.

Don
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

I'm wondering what he is gluing the veneer to and how he got it to fit.

"Tyke" wrote in message
You are going to need to use some kind of template or risk wasting a lot

of
veneer.

You could use cardboard or pegboard type material which is easily

available
in 4ft x 8 ft sheets. You could cut the largest rectangle which will fit

in
the end and then use cardboad to get the curves to fill the gaps. I would
then transfer this to another piece or two of the pegboard type material
just so the final template was a single piece.

Sound like an interesting project.

Dave Paine.

wrote in message
Hi All;
Am refinishing the inside of an Airstream trailer. Going to
use veneer throughout. Try to determine how to cut the two
ends of the trailer pieces. Looks like I will need at least six
pieces to make the complete curve at each end. Short of
using lots of tar paper for templates, just not sure how to go
about making straight wood fit into curved corners.
Thanks for your time and efforts.

Don

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The CW entity posted thusly:

I'm wondering what he is gluing the veneer to and how he got it to fit.

Uh, he didn't get it to fit. That's why he wants to know the best way
to figure out the cuts.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

It would appear that I have to spell it out for some people. Try to fallow
along. If he glues veneer directly to the aluminum shell of a trailer, it
will buckle, split and come off. He will end up with an expensive mess.
Coefficient of expansion of woold and aluminum is substantially different.
Consequently, the only way of doing this and making it work is to put it on
something besides the aluminum. Something more stable. Plain enough for you?

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
The CW entity posted thusly:

I'm wondering what he is gluing the veneer to and how he got it to fit.

Uh, he didn't get it to fit. That's why he wants to know the best way
to figure out the cuts.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Perfection In Wood

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 15:51:30 GMT, "CW" wrote:

It would appear that I have to spell it out for some people. Try to fallow
along. If he glues veneer directly to the aluminum shell of a trailer, it
will buckle, split and come off. He will end up with an expensive mess.
Coefficient of expansion of woold and aluminum is substantially different.
Consequently, the only way of doing this and making it work is to put it on
something besides the aluminum. Something more stable. Plain enough for you?

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
.. .
The CW entity posted thusly:

I'm wondering what he is gluing the veneer to and how he got it to fit.

Uh, he didn't get it to fit. That's why he wants to know the best way
to figure out the cuts.

I think he stated "re-finishing" and thus I would assume the backing
is the original from the factory at mfg....I've seen formed plywood
before but cannot recall if it was an Airstream or not.
In any case this is a challenging project.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi again;

Let me back up a little. I actually replace the plastic roof ends
with new aluminum sheets, five total at each end. I was going to
glue veneer to that. Found out as was stated earlier, that expansion
is enough different in the two materials the glue would not hold.
Another person has already done this kind of project but was not
too clear about templates and such. The new idea is to sheet metal
screw or rivot veneer onto the ribs of the trailer.
There is a real possibility of condensation being aluminum and all.
So by using a 1 inch spacer and thin insulation between the outside
shell and the veneer this will be minumized. Also applying three
coats of sealer on the back side of wood wil help. I found out with
the aluminum that what was is straight laying of the table becomes
concave when put into the trailer. Just don't know how to figure this
curving in advance. Looks like a trail and error sort of thing.
Thanks again for time and efforts and responses.

Don
Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The CW entity posted thusly:

It would appear that I have to spell it out for some people. Try to fallow
along.

I follow just fine. I followed both things you said. They are
completely different. Try to say what you mean.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

You are lost, aren't you?

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
The CW entity posted thusly:

It would appear that I have to spell it out for some people. Try to

fallow
along.

I follow just fine. I followed both things you said. They are
completely different. Try to say what you mean.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The CW entity posted thusly:

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
.. .
The CW entity posted thusly:

It would appear that I have to spell it out for some people. Try to

fallow
along.

I follow just fine. I followed both things you said. They are
completely different. Try to say what you mean.

You are lost, aren't you?

Not at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Jun 2006 10:59:30 -0700, "Josh" wrote:

wrote:
Hi All;
Am refinishing the inside of an Airstream trailer. Going to
use veneer throughout. Try to determine how to cut the two
ends of the trailer pieces. Looks like I will need at least six
pieces to make the complete curve at each end. Short of
using lots of tar paper for templates, just not sure how to go
about making straight wood fit into curved corners.
Thanks for your time and efforts.

Don

If you know you need six pieces of veneer, you could tape them all to
the interior using double-stick tape. Obviously they'll overlap to
some extend, especially at the top and bottom.

Then, set up a self-leveling laser level which can draw a plumb line
for you, and position it one sixth of the way around the circumference
of the end of the trailer, and trace the line onto the veneer. Then
move it over another sixth, then another, until you've gotten all of
your lines traced onto the veneer. Then slice through the overlapping
layers.

Josh

Neat, I just am not very creative. Thanks for you response and all
of the others too.

Don

Glue for shop-made veneer [email protected] Woodworking 3 April 8th 05 09:09 PM
To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
European Oak Veneer John Woodworking 0 January 18th 04 01:21 AM
Solid wood, veneer over mdf or plywood Rich Zellmer Woodworking 3 January 6th 04 02:28 PM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM