Posted to rec.woodworking
unclescrooge

Default are those free woodworking plan sites legit?

hi,

i was looking for some woodworking plans on building a new
workbench/table to house my new miter saw and drill press. some of
those sites seem a little questionable.

does anyone know which ones are legit and which ones aren't?

thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

You can click away at all the plans you want, but if and when they ask
for a credit card or some type of money, then THOSE are the
"illegitimate" free plan sites. The ones that don't charge you anything
are the "legit" ones. Sorry, I couldn't help myself, Ebeneezer. Here's
a "legit" one:

http://members.cox.net/messman123/Plan%20Links%20As.htm Tom
unclescrooge wrote:
hi,

i was looking for some woodworking plans on building a new
workbench/table to house my new miter saw and drill press. some of
those sites seem a little questionable.

does anyone know which ones are legit and which ones aren't?

thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking
henry

You may get a better answer by giving links to the sites in question.

Posted to rec.woodworking
unclescrooge

henry wrote:
You may get a better answer by giving links to the sites in question.

you are correct...

here's a couple that i wonder about...

www.woodprojects.com
www.woodnet.net

there are others..including one that kept promising free workbench
plans but every plan i found took you to a page where your options were
anything but free.

i then remembered the rules of the net...don't believe everything you
read and there is no such thing as free...and so i thought i'd come in
here and ask folks who actually know what they are doing (or at least
pretend to...ha!) [that was a feeble attempt at humor]

thanks all!

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

The first link has a rather long list of truly free plans. You just have to
look for it. My first stop was their FAQ page that had a link directly to
their plans page (first question).
The second link offers plans through Plans Now. They are pay plans but are
not at all expensive. I have downloaded several from these people. They are
worth the money.

"unclescrooge" wrote in message
ups.com...

henry wrote:
You may get a better answer by giving links to the sites in question.

you are correct...

here's a couple that i wonder about...

www.woodprojects.com
www.woodnet.net

there are others..including one that kept promising free workbench
plans but every plan i found took you to a page where your options were
anything but free.

i then remembered the rules of the net...don't believe everything you
read and there is no such thing as free...and so i thought i'd come in
here and ask folks who actually know what they are doing (or at least
pretend to...ha!) [that was a feeble attempt at humor]

thanks all!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 06:34:26 GMT, "CW" wrote:

The first link has a rather long list of truly free plans. You just have to
look for it.

That's also part of the problem. I've researched and downloaded free
software/shareware for many years now, and althought there is still a
grain of truth, the real up-front declaration of "Free stuff" has
pretty well gone the way of the dinosaur. Sure, you can still find
it, but the effort often outweighs the results. Just as some think
that mentioning "wood" allows them to talk about anything but, the
word "free" now usually means "free download", but not of free
material. Everything has a gimmick. Well, almost everything there is
always the odd exception that some use to point at and say, "Hah! I
was right."

Posted to rec.woodworking
henry

There are lots of similar pages like what you listed that are free if
you pay some $.Is there a project that youre looking for?I built a
lowboy from plans found at my library through a interloan program with
another library.My library also has back issues of FWW.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper

Guess who wrote in
:

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 06:34:26 GMT, "CW" wrote:

The first link has a rather long list of truly free plans. You just
have to look for it.

That's also part of the problem. I've researched and downloaded free
software/shareware for many years now, and althought there is still a
grain of truth, the real up-front declaration of "Free stuff" has
pretty well gone the way of the dinosaur. Sure, you can still find
it, but the effort often outweighs the results. Just as some think
that mentioning "wood" allows them to talk about anything but, the
word "free" now usually means "free download", but not of free
material. Everything has a gimmick. Well, almost everything there is
always the odd exception that some use to point at and say, "Hah! I
was right."

You're right about that, what I hate most about some sites is that
they're nothing but teases. Look at this plan! *click* Pay $29.99 to
look at this plan!

Shareware is not freeware, never has, never will be... yet sites insist
on including both.

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Posted to rec.woodworking
damian penney

This one appears to be on the up and up and is pretty good

http://www.freeww.com/

Damian

unclescrooge wrote:
henry wrote:
You may get a better answer by giving links to the sites in question.

you are correct...

here's a couple that i wonder about...

www.woodprojects.com
www.woodnet.net

there are others..including one that kept promising free workbench
plans but every plan i found took you to a page where your options were
anything but free.

i then remembered the rules of the net...don't believe everything you
read and there is no such thing as free...and so i thought i'd come in
here and ask folks who actually know what they are doing (or at least
pretend to...ha!) [that was a feeble attempt at humor]

thanks all!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

On 05/06/2006 12:53 AM, unclescrooge wrote:

i was looking for some woodworking plans [...]
does anyone know which ones are legit and which ones aren't?

http://groups.google.com/groups?&as_..._uauthors=joat

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Tue, Jun 6, 2006, 2:04pm (Doug*Payne)
did posteth:
http://groups.google.com/groups?&as_..._uauthors=joat

Gods above, I'm an urban legent!

JOAT
Never confuse "Oh, I can't do this!" with "Oh, I've never done this!".
- JOAT

Posted to rec.woodworking
Philip Lewis

(J T) writes:
Gods above, I'm an urban legent!

heh...
well, you *were* the one that started me doing this:
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~flip/plans.html

I emailed you years ago saying you should do a page... you said you
didn't want to, so i did it instead. At first it was a collection of
mostly your posts... but i've gathered links from all over since.

I don't claim that it's pretty or refined... but there are a fair bit
of links there.

Hope folks find some use in it.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Woodworking Plan Software Kevin S. Main Woodworking 4 March 20th 05 11:41 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Free Custom Walkthrough Checklists for New Homes! customwalkthroughchecklists.com Home Ownership 3 July 27th 04 04:39 PM
Is there a FAQ? Neil Woods Woodworking 4 August 21st 03 05:46 PM
*** Rec.Woodorking Mini-FAQ, *** 121, now lead free! David F. Eisan Woodworking 3 July 31st 03 09:48 PM