Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jacobs

Default Red Vs White Oak

Anybody out there know what oak is predominately used by manufacturers for
Kitchen cabinets. I am going to build a wine rack and the cabinets are
natural oak but I don't know whether it is red or white. I am guessing red,
but not sure. Can anyone help?

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Jim Jacobs wrote:
Anybody out there know what oak is predominately used by
manufacturers for Kitchen cabinets. I am going to build a wine rack
and the cabinets are natural oak but I don't know whether it is red
or white. I am guessing red, but not sure. Can anyone help?

Red oak is more generally used. Not better, just more used.

If you can access an end of a piece of your cabinets you should be able to
tell...red oak is very porous, ends just suck up finish without sealing.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article . net, "Jim Jacobs" wrote:
Anybody out there know what oak is predominately used by manufacturers for
Kitchen cabinets. I am going to build a wine rack and the cabinets are
natural oak but I don't know whether it is red or white. I am guessing red,
but not sure. Can anyone help?

The overwhelming majority are red oak -- probably because it's less expensive.

--
Regards,