Posted to rec.woodworking

Default repair switch on a delta contract saw

I have a Delta 36-470 contract saw for 4 years and the switch stopped
working the other day. I opened it up. There are two springs with
conductive cylindrical caps on (looks like made from carbon) and one of
the cap was broken. I called Delta support and was told I had to buy a
whole switch kit for $46. I just want to ask if people here have other
ideas that cost less before I make the purchase.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Delta 36-470 contract saw for 4 years and the switch stopped
working the other day. I opened it up. There are two springs with
conductive cylindrical caps on (looks like made from carbon) and one of
the cap was broken. I called Delta support and was told I had to buy a
whole switch kit for $46. I just want to ask if people here have other
ideas that cost less before I make the purchase.

Yep, any motor-rated switch (durable contacts) of the proper capacity should
do. Unless you have to have magnetic or something, should be about six
bucks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Delta 36-470 contract saw for 4 years and the switch stopped
working the other day. I opened it up. There are two springs with
conductive cylindrical caps on (looks like made from carbon) and one of
the cap was broken. I called Delta support and was told I had to buy a
whole switch kit for $46. I just want to ask if people here have other
ideas that cost less before I make the purchase.

I am assuming this is just a plain switch, and not a magnetic switch.
The switch on my Delta jointer went. I replaced it with a $4 toggle switch
from HD for about $5. I had to cut an adaptor plate, but that was not a big
deal.
Grizzly has a nice looking switch for not much more that looks to be a
direct replacement, but the freight and delay were problems.

Just make sure that the switch is rated for the motor size you have; if you
don't, it can fuse closed and that might not be good.