Posted to rec.woodworking
P.T.

Default Grizzly shaper

I have been looking at the G0510Z 3/4 HP shaper. The catalog states that
it has a router bit adapter. Does anyone know how well this adapter works
in the shaper? Anytime you adapt something, I start questioning how well
it will work. The 3/4 HP moter seems a bit underpowered, but I probably
would not be using it for anything heavy or that often. Any comments or
experience with this shaper would be appreciated.

Tks,
P.T.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

The word "adapter" simply means a device to enable something to do
something. In this way, a router uses a collet to adapt the router bit to
the shaft of the motor. With your shaper, it is essentially the same thing.
A device mounts to the shaft so it will hold a router bit. Some say that the
speed is to slow. Not true. A router bit does not have to scream like a
banshee to work. Adjust your feedrate and everything will be fine. Likely,
you won't even notice you are doing it. As for power, 3/4 horse in an
induction motor is lots more than the same in a router.
news