Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

Default How do I Refinish antique projects?

I went to an auction the other day and came home with some "bargains".
My total investment so far is $3.00 U.S. These items are not in
original shape. I'd just like to make them useable again. Their antique
value has been shot a long time ago.

The first item is a hand crank Victrola box minus the record player. It
was in need of major repair. Some of the original luan like material
needed to be replaced, and the original finish had been painted over
with brown paint. I'd like to know what product would best replicate an
antique flat black finish? Milk paint, or Japan maybe? I've heard that
milk paint doesn't cover other types of finish that well. Can anyone
point out a good book, website, or product supplier, that would cover
this topic?

My second find was a small mahogany chest of drawers, that was
missing one drawer front.
Someone had attempted to sand it down, but there is a red stain that
remains in the wood.
How can I bleach out the wood, or remove the stain? How do I get the
new piece of wood to color match the old wood on the dresser?

The third and last item is a Hoosier table that needs the zinc plated
metal table top replaced. Can I use metal flashing for this, or does a
company still make replacement material for this purpose?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

wrote:
[...]

Vandykes www.vandykes.com carries parts for the Hoosier cabinet. I used
to have a link for a site that specialized in them but can't find it
right now. This site also carries parts http://hoosiercabinets.com/ but
it's not the one i recall.
Joe