Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 'Rope Blade' for bandsaw

Hi,

Trying to cut out jigsaws from plyboard with a bandsaw and was
thinking would
it be possible to obtain a blade for the saw that has a circular cross
section.

This blade would cut in all directions without the need to constantly
move and twist the uncut puzzle.

Does such a blade exist? I cannot fine one on the net or in my local
tool supplies.

Cheers,

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Schultz

Is there something like diamond wire that can be used in the band saw?
this is like a saw made from epoxy bonded diamond dust on a piece of wire.

Just a thought.

Doug

wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi,

Trying to cut out jigsaws from plyboard with a bandsaw and was
thinking would
it be possible to obtain a blade for the saw that has a circular cross
section.

This blade would cut in all directions without the need to constantly
move and twist the uncut puzzle.

Does such a blade exist? I cannot fine one on the net or in my local
tool supplies.

Cheers,

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 17 May 2006 02:45:20 GMT, "Doug Schultz"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Trying to cut out jigsaws from plyboard with a bandsaw and was
thinking would
it be possible to obtain a blade for the saw that has a circular cross
section.

This blade would cut in all directions without the need to constantly
move and twist the uncut puzzle.

Does such a blade exist? I cannot fine one on the net or in my local
tool supplies.

Is there something like diamond wire that can be used in the band saw?
this is like a saw made from epoxy bonded diamond dust on a piece of wire.

Seems like that might be pretty hard on the bandsaw tires

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

I *have* seen
scroll saw blades that cut in all dimensions.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...884,42904&ap=1

Chris

And poorly, too. With near zero turn capability within reach of a proper
blade, especially a bi-directional, since he's cutting ply, this blade is
going to be worse than useless.

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie

Doug Schultz wrote:
Is there something like diamond wire that can be used in the band saw?
this is like a saw made from epoxy bonded diamond dust on a piece of wire.

Just a thought.

Doug

yes. it's called a ring saw, used to cut glass sheet.

http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-too...s-Ring-Saw.htm

you can also get diamond band saws.

http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-too...s-Ring-Saw.htm

note that you have to use water cooling for them.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi,

Trying to cut out jigsaws from plyboard with a bandsaw and was
thinking would
it be possible to obtain a blade for the saw that has a circular cross
section.

This blade would cut in all directions without the need to constantly
move and twist the uncut puzzle.

Does such a blade exist? I cannot fine one on the net or in my local
tool supplies.

Cheers,

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've never heard of such a blade for a bandsaw but it is a common item
for a scroll saw, if all your are talking about is cutting out jigsaw
puzzles. The downside is that such a blade leaves a rougher surface
than a conventional blade, is slower cutting, and cuts a wider kerf.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie wrote:

yes. it's called a ring saw, used to cut glass sheet.

A ring saw is different. Although most ring saw blades used for cutting
glass _are_ wire-like, that's just coincidence. The real difference
between "ring saw" and a woodworking bandsaw is that the ring is a
rigid ring whilst the band of a band saw is flexible. This allows the
bandsaw blade to take the usual "racetrack" shape of two semi-circles
joined by straight sections. Blades used for sawing glass aren't this
flexible, so they have to remain ring-shaped.

Glass working ring saws often also use a splittable ring with a screw
connector, so that you can saw internal cuts. Now _that's _a thing I've
often wished for on my wood bandsaw!

Everyway-cutting bandsaw blades are available, but they need machine
setup to be modified. In particular their guides are complicated by the
fact you're not just cutting forwards, so they now need to support the
blade against pressure every way.

As to the tyres, then they don't really care. So long as the teeth
aren't slipping _over_ the tyre, then wear isn't unusually large.

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie

well, if you look at the 2nd link i posted, it's a real bandsaw,
although it's pretty small. they do have larger ones, but they're
majorly expensive.
http://www.gryphoncorp.com/bandsaw.html

there is also a wire saw that looks just like a scroll saw, but has a
cut in every direction diamond coated wire.
http://www.glassmart.com/omni1.asp

then again, a quick search shows a hilti saw that does this
http://www.hilti.com/holcom/modules/...jsp?OID=-13235

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Smith

wrote:
Glass working ring saws often also use a splittable ring with a screw
connector, so that you can saw internal cuts. Now _that's _a thing I've
often wished for on my wood bandsaw!

On machine shop bandsaws, it's fairly common to have a blade welder
built right into the machine. One could drill a hole, cut a blade
open, pass one end through the hole, re-weld the blade, and do an
internal cut.

Not very convenient, but certainly possible.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On 17 May 2006 10:35:16 -0700, "charlie" wrote:

well, if you look at the 2nd link i posted, it's a real bandsaw,

No, they're both Tauruses. I haven't seen a Taurus 3 here in the UK yet,
but all the others were rigid rings, not bandsaws.

I was also warned off flexible band saws for glassworking recently (I
was looking to buy a ring saw) on the grounds that they didn't cut as
well "edge-on" as the thicker rings did.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Folks,

Thanks for all the replys. I might try the scroll/fret saw baldes and
see how I get on.

On a different point, there is a terrible amount of S**t appearing in
the newsgroup
as I am sure you have noticed. A similar problem occured on another
group
some time ago but has since dissapeared. I believe it is like bad
weather, will
pass away eventually.

Cheers