Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,alt.machines.cnc,dfw.forsale
Martin

Default Linear Table FS: Reid-Ashton / Thomson SPB-16 OPN / $250

Note: If you want to contact me by email, please address it to
funkychateau at yahoo dot com. Don't use the "reply to" option
for this posting, it is a spam-blocker.

I would like to sell this Reid-Ashton Linear Table, which was
manufactured using Thomson 16-series components. There are four
Thomson SPB-16-OPN-ADJ "super adjustable pillow blocks", two 48"
sections of shafting, and full-length machined/anodized 6061 supports.
The rails are mounted from the bottom, using 16 socket-head bolts, to a
very rigid 10" x 3" x 61" welded steel base. The moving work table is
about 10-1/2" x 27", and is made of 6061 aluminum plate. There are
also end spacers and rubber travel stops. This could make a nice
starting point for a CNC router, milling machine, lathe, or similar
setup. Here are links to pictures on Yahoo:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/funkyc...e2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/funkyc...e2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/funkyc...e2.jpg&.src=ph

I have four of these available. I prefer cash, but will consider
trades in a face-to-face exchange. I collect guns and pool cues.

If you want an assembly as shown, it will be for local pickup only, and
I will help you load it. Total weight is probably around 200 lbs. I
haven't weighed it, but it takes two men to move it. The location is
Plano, Texas, just north of Dallas.

As an alternative, I will disassemble the unit and ship the shafting,
pillow blocks, full-length supports, spacers, bumpers, and hardware for
actual UPS charges plus cost of the container. I'll bag the hardware
and small stuff, bubble-wrap each individual long piece, slide
everything into a 4"-diameter plastic pipe, and cap the ends. In
this case, the base and table would accompany me on my next trip to the
scrapyard.

Of course, if you want to buy all four and pay me for the trouble, I
could be convinced to build a crate for the bases and deliver them to a
freight dock.

thanks!

Martin

ps - This great big electric motor is still available:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...85d69b388481ac

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,alt.machines.cnc,dfw.forsale
Cliff

On 12 May 2006 13:57:11 -0700, "Martin" wrote:

the base and table would accompany me on my next trip to the
scrapyard.

I wonder how many are shopping there in the first place then using Ebay ...
--
Cliff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,alt.machines.cnc,dfw.forsale
Martin

I think most resourceful folks probably use all the options. The
scrapyard I've been using is an OK place to get iron and steel,
sometimes aluminum. They pay you 6 cents a pound when you drop off
good iron, but they sell it back to you for 50 cents a pound. If we
could just manage to intercept the stuff we want before someone else
junks it ........

What that means is, if I auction the linear bearings and shafting on
Ebay, I'll be stuck with this 150-lb steel base that was custom-made
for this very-expensive linear table assembly, and has no other value
to me at present (other than weighing down one end of my garage). When
I take it to the scrap yard, I will get $9 if I torch it in half (to
meet their "short iron" definition), or $6 if I drop it off "as is".
But if someone sees it in their pile and wants it, they'll have to pay
$75. It's a damn shame, and goes directly against my sense of
conservation.

Martin