Posted to rec.woodworking
wayne mak

Default Dad is selling old tool chest with tools

My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with
it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high
quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Smith

In article ,
"wayne mak" wrote:

My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with
it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high
quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

Oh my. Please don't sell those. Keep them for yourself. Someday, when
your children (or grandchildren) are old enough to appreciate them, you'll
be able to pass on some priceless memories of a skilled craft and the man
who practiced it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes

"wayne mak" wrote in message
My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with
it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high
quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

What part of the country is this treasure trove?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Sun, 7 May 2006 21:57:08 -0400, "wayne mak"
wrote:

My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with
it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high
quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

Possibly worth *much* more, I think. Have them evaluated. Try a
local auctioneer/antuque dealer, but let him or her know they are
presently NOT for sale, if he offers to buy them. You want an
unbiased opinion. You might have to remove your ad for that purpose,
then go back to that as one avenue.

I'd have been interested some years back, but am getting away from the
hobby due to health and age. My son-in-law will get most of mine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"wayne mak" wrote:

My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with
it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high
quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

That collection is worth a LOT more than that. I would have been happy
to pay you $ 500.00 or more... till I read Roy Smith's post...he's
right. Keep them. Do NOT sell that collection. It is too valuable to
sell.
*drooling*

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
"wayne mak" wrote:

My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with
it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high
quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

Oh my. Please don't sell those. Keep them for yourself. Someday, when
your children (or grandchildren) are old enough to appreciate them, you'll
be able to pass on some priceless memories of a skilled craft and the man
who practiced it.

That assumes it was passed down in OP's family.

Maybe it was, or maybe his Dad bought it at an estate
sale or something.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

wayne mak wrote:
My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with
it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high
quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

Wayne, you're the guy that listed the patternmaker's shop stuff on W.
Mass. craigslist, right?

The stuff you have is far more valuable than $300. I don't know how
quickly you have to sell this stuff, but if you sold the stuff
separately on eBay you'd make over a grand for that stuff, no problem.
The more valuable chisels would easily fetch $40. You also have some
nifty little violin makers planes that are highly collectable.

I echo the sentiment of some of the other posters. Keep the box.
Cherry pick your father's collection and keep a nicely stocked box.
You might find out that you've got the genes for it and take up
woodworking. It'd also make an amazing family heirloom which isn't
going to go down in value.

Sell the stuff you've got to sell after researching it. There are eBay
consignment shops and Sellers Assistants that would take 30-40%
commission. You'd still come out ahead.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mekon

"wayne mak" wrote in message
My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with
it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high
quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

I'd give my left one for my grandfather's tools. Please don't sell them,
each has a story to tell and a connection with the craftsman.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Mekon" wrote in message

"wayne mak" wrote in message
My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with
it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high
quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

I'd give my left one for my grandfather's tools. Please don't sell them,
each has a story to tell and a connection with the craftsman.

Why does everyone assume it is an heirloom?
Since he doesn't know what kind of tools they are, the odds are they don't
have any storys.

I expect they probably are worth rather more than 300, judging by what I
have seen stuff go for at auctions, but I can't really understand why.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Toller wrote:
"Mekon" wrote in message

I'd give my left one for my grandfather's tools. Please don't sell them,
each has a story to tell and a connection with the craftsman.

Why does everyone assume it is an heirloom?

Because of the definition of the word heirloom:
1. A valued possession passed down in a family through succeeding
generations.
2. An article of personal property included in an inherited estate.

Since he doesn't know what kind of tools they are, the odds are they don't
have any storys.

They might not have the "I used this Barton gouge to pound through the
heart of a vampire" type of story, but more the "great-granddad was
such a craftsman that the factories relied on him to get the original
prototype perfect".

I expect they probably are worth rather more than 300, judging by what I
have seen stuff go for at auctions, but I can't really understand why.

Because the stuff you would buy now would cost you more for what is
usually lower quality.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy

"wayne mak" wrote in
:

My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools
with it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but
high quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

It's probably worth more than that, as others have said, altho
it's hard to tell from photos.

If you're in Mass, as someone suggested, you might try calling
or emailing Patrick Leach, who does (or did) some dealing in
tools. He used to be active here on rec.ww, some while back.

leach (at) supertool.com

John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

wrote:

My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with
it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high
quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

Yeah, it can be very surprising sometimes. The thing we think is
valuable turns out not so and the thing we thought was junk is the
item of value.
I do know that unless the chisels are rare they can be purchased at
Flea Markets in Maine for $6-$12. Those auger type drill bits I've
seen for $2-$3. What is surprising is how much old stuff is around if
you look in the right places
My guess is that it has a value of $400-$500 if broken up -*unless*
there is a very rare piece or two. I am not an expert by any means but
I do shop for old tools. Forget Ebay as a guide - I've seen bidding
wars for an item not worth half of what it goes for.
But, there is the point I think. Selling everything separately might
bring more $$. However, it is work. I built some garage doors (c1940)
for a friend of my Mom and she gave me 6 boxes of assorted depression
glass. I sold it on Ebay and what a job! Early on a guy offered me a
set price for everything and oh how I wished I had taken it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
wayne mak

My dad has had these for years but they weren't his primary wood workig
tools, my dad uses power tools for most of his stuff. If I asked him for
then he wouldn't even wink, they would be mine. I enjoy metal working and
these don't fit my needs to well so dad should be the one to get the money.

I thank everyone for there input and the offers that have been made, I talk
to dad and see what he says.
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

The routers do not look like they are Stanley or Stanley clones which
suggests that there may be some rare items in the collection.
The brace is a very old design, pre-ratcheting.

OTOH the absence of any saws or moulding planes, or space for
them in the box makes me think this was only _part_ of a
patternmaker's tool set. Probably he had another box for saws,
planes and big tools.

Were it not for the auger bits I'd think it maybe was a carver's tool
set. I don't recall seeing any mallets either.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Toller wrote:
"Mekon" wrote in message

I'd give my left one for my grandfather's tools. Please don't sell
them,
each has a story to tell and a connection with the craftsman.

Why does everyone assume it is an heirloom?

Because of the definition of the word heirloom:
1. A valued possession passed down in a family through succeeding
generations.
2. An article of personal property included in an inherited estate.

Since he doesn't know what kind of tools they are, the odds are they
don't
have any storys.

They might not have the "I used this Barton gouge to pound through the
heart of a vampire" type of story, but more the "great-granddad was
such a craftsman that the factories relied on him to get the original
prototype perfect".

Or "granddad found these at a garage sale and didn't know what they are. He
wanted to sell them for $300, but decided to hand them down to other people
to whom they have no significance."

My MIL has a spoon her great grandfather used at Andersonville Prison. Now
that's a great heirloom. (unfortunately she is leaving it to my BIL rather
than my wife.)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

All hand woodworking with antique tools is a special interest.
I'll bet only a small percentage of the readers of this newsgroup
would have any interest in them for day to day use. Even if I
owned a nice collection like that, I wouldn't give up my power tools.

RicodJour wrote:

I echo the sentiment of some of the other posters. Keep the box.
Cherry pick your father's collection and keep a nicely stocked box.
You might find out that you've got the genes for it and take up
woodworking.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Mike Berger wrote:
All hand woodworking with antique tools is a special interest.
I'll bet only a small percentage of the readers of this newsgroup
would have any interest in them for day to day use. Even if I
owned a nice collection like that, I wouldn't give up my power tools.

Well, maybe that box o' tools isn't going to replace your power tools,
but there's no reason that they couldn't peacefully co-exist. Right
tool for the right job, eh?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

Well, maybe that box o' tools isn't going to replace your power tools,
but there's no reason that they couldn't peacefully co-exist. Right
tool for the right job, eh?

Oh - so now we're talking cutting torches, huh? Cool.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Mike Marlow wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Well, maybe that box o' tools isn't going to replace your power tools,
but there's no reason that they couldn't peacefully co-exist. Right
tool for the right job, eh?

Oh - so now we're talking cutting torches, huh? Cool.

I thought you were talking about your Flowjet.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mike Marlow wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Well, maybe that box o' tools isn't going to replace your power tools,
but there's no reason that they couldn't peacefully co-exist. Right
tool for the right job, eh?

Oh - so now we're talking cutting torches, huh? Cool.

I thought you were talking about your Flowjet.

Now there's a tool! Alas... no Flowjet for this poor boy. I just couldn't
help myself above... I see a phrase like "the right tool for the job" and I
instinctively think torches... Oh... what you can do with a nice piece of
cherry and a good set of torches. It's simply art.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Yu seem to look at it as an either/or situation. Rarely do I ever do a
project entirely by hand but I, and a lot of others, have found that a lot
of things are done faster and easier by hand rather than setting up a
machine.