Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Default Dad is selling old tool chest with tools

wayne mak wrote:
My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with
it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high
quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

Wayne, you're the guy that listed the patternmaker's shop stuff on W.
Mass. craigslist, right?

The stuff you have is far more valuable than $300. I don't know how
quickly you have to sell this stuff, but if you sold the stuff
separately on eBay you'd make over a grand for that stuff, no problem.
The more valuable chisels would easily fetch $40. You also have some
nifty little violin makers planes that are highly collectable.

I echo the sentiment of some of the other posters. Keep the box.
Cherry pick your father's collection and keep a nicely stocked box.
You might find out that you've got the genes for it and take up
woodworking. It'd also make an amazing family heirloom which isn't
going to go down in value.

Sell the stuff you've got to sell after researching it. There are eBay
consignment shops and Sellers Assistants that would take 30-40%
commission. You'd still come out ahead.