Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

Default Dad is selling old tool chest with tools

On Sun, 7 May 2006 21:57:08 -0400, "wayne mak"
wrote:

My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with
it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high
quality tools take a look.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm

Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

Yeah, it can be very surprising sometimes. The thing we think is
valuable turns out not so and the thing we thought was junk is the
item of value.
I do know that unless the chisels are rare they can be purchased at
Flea Markets in Maine for $6-$12. Those auger type drill bits I've
seen for $2-$3. What is surprising is how much old stuff is around if
you look in the right places
My guess is that it has a value of $400-$500 if broken up -*unless*
there is a very rare piece or two. I am not an expert by any means but
I do shop for old tools. Forget Ebay as a guide - I've seen bidding
wars for an item not worth half of what it goes for.
But, there is the point I think. Selling everything separately might
bring more $$. However, it is work. I built some garage doors (c1940)
for a friend of my Mom and she gave me 6 boxes of assorted depression
glass. I sold it on Ebay and what a job! Early on a guy offered me a
set price for everything and oh how I wished I had taken it.