Posted to rec.woodworking
ppdavid

Default Can you make a plunge cut with a router?

I need to make a shallow (1/2" to 1" deep) depression ( about 2"x2") in a
solid block of wood. Can I make a plunge cut with a router to get that
depression. Does not need to be extreemely accurate...just need a void
behind a face sheet that will be applied. If so, what kind of bit would be
needed? If not a good idea, what other options do I have? Gouge it out
with a Dremmil?
Paul D

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Smith

"ppdavid" wrote:
I need to make a shallow (1/2" to 1" deep) depression ( about 2"x2") in a
solid block of wood. Can I make a plunge cut with a router to get that
depression. Does not need to be extreemely accurate...just need a void
behind a face sheet that will be applied. If so, what kind of bit would be
needed? If not a good idea, what other options do I have? Gouge it out
with a Dremmil?

Many router bits can make plunge cuts, but not all. Just make sure you get
one that is designed for it, such as one of these...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...73&cat=1,46168

You're talking about hogging out a lot of material. Go slowly and make
sure the chips get cleared out and the bit doesn't overheat. You might
want to get down to that 1" depth in several shallower passes.

Another possibility would be to remove most of the material with a series
of overlapping holes from a fostner bit in a drill press, then clean up the
edges with a chisel. It will probably be a lot easier to control, i.e. a
lot less likely to generate an "oh, ****!" moment as the router bit decides
to go careening off in a direction you didn't expect.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Mon, 08 May 2006 01:23:31 GMT, "ppdavid"
wrote:

I need to make a shallow (1/2" to 1" deep) depression ( about 2"x2") in a
solid block of wood. Can I make a plunge cut with a router to get that
depression.

Or a hammer and sharp chisel. Or a combination: take out most with
the chisel and then finish with the router ..straight bit ....carbide
.... use a jig if your hands are shaky.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

It would be a lot quicker to drill a hole to depth in the center and
hand chisel the depression with a gouge than to fool around building
and setting up a jig for the job. If you needed a hundred of them, it
would be a different story.
Bugs