Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

Default spray foam insulation for shop pole building

Hope to start construction on a new 900 ft shop within the month. Will
most likely be a pole building 30x30 and about 11' high walls. Want to
not mess with insulation batts and their inherent gaps, sags, etc..

Therefore I am wondering if fellow wreck participants have some
experience with sprayed foam application as an insulation. The
distance between posts will be 10'. I plan to put CDX on the inside
and not drywall if I can help it. This would be painted white and
allow me to mount anything anywhere on the walls I felt like it. I
might use some hangers to mount a 2x6 at two locations on the wall to
give some middle support.

Thanks
Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking
PCProffitt

My shop is part of my house which is all insulated with Icynene. Yep,
it was more expensive than the pink stuff. However, my 15' x 25' shop
is not heated or cooled. I heat it with a $30 oil-filled electric
heater set on low during the winter and during the summer it stays
comfortable when I open a window to let in the cool morning air then
close them for the afternoon.

The unheated garage next to it is insulated as well. I would use this
stuff again in an instant. My heating and cooling bills on the house
may be half those of my neighbors who all have the pink stuff.

If you plan to heat and cool your shop most sprayed-in foam insulations
should mean you can use smaller heating and/or cooling units and it will
still be a lot more comfortable to work in the shop.
Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

How did you handle the roof of your shop?

Current plan is to use radiant in the floor, leave the ceiling open and
spraf foam the bottom of the roof. My wife would like composition,
metal attracts me because it is a bit less, lasts a LONG time, and
likely is not an issue for foam contact like the heat retention of
composition would be.

Posted to rec.woodworking
PCProffitt

arw01 wrote:
How did you handle the roof of your shop?

Current plan is to use radiant in the floor, leave the ceiling open and
spraf foam the bottom of the roof. My wife would like composition,
metal attracts me because it is a bit less, lasts a LONG time, and
likely is not an issue for foam contact like the heat retention of
composition would be.

The ceiling of my shop is uninsulated drywall. The underside of all the
roof decks were sprayed with Icynene. This way you can actually use the
attic space because the temperature in the attic only gets somewhat
warmer or cooler than the actually heated and cooled interior space.
The attic isn't actively heated or cooled.

Other than shop dust collecting on the uneven foam sprayed on the
underside of the roof deck the open ceiling would seem to be no problem.
Just make sure when they spray the foam that the eave where the roof
meets the wall gets sprayed and sealed. With an open ceiling this would
not be such a tight space, but usually extra work is required at the
eaves to seal any large gaps before spraying. Depends on the spray foam
installer and the construction.

Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

Waiting for a ballpark quote. It looks like $0.65 to $0.85 per bdft of
foam. So about $1,000 per inch of foam on just the walls.

Not sure this is economical. I inquired with the SIP plant to see if
they know of a contractor in my area. Since SIPS with shipping and 6"
of foam between two 3/8 CDX panels at 10' x 4' wide are less tahn
$6,000 shipped. This price on spray foam seems REALLY high..

Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you want affordable Spray Foam Insulation, go
here....www.asicontractingspam.com

Spam much?

Posted to rec.woodworking
BT98

I would never do a metal roof in a area where you have snow. I did
that on my first pole building and could not keep gutters on the
building and when it warmed up the snow came of in a avalanch and froze
in front of the doors by the time I came home in the evening.

The second pole building and workshop, 24 X 36, I used storage trusses
that gave me a upstairs storage area and I sheated the ceiling with OSB
and purchased the blow in insulation from Lowes and they gave use of
the blower free. I used a fold up stairway and very happy with the
whole setup.
The spray foam on the metal should work fine on the walls for you.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"BT98" wrote in message
oups.com...

I would never do a metal roof in a area where you have snow. I did
that on my first pole building and could not keep gutters on the
building and when it warmed up the snow came of in a avalanch and froze
in front of the doors by the time I came home in the evening.

Interesting. I know people that will only have a metal roof because of the
ability to shed snow. They are very popular in a lot of northern areas.