Posted to rec.woodworking
PCProffitt

Default spray foam insulation for shop pole building

arw01 wrote:
How did you handle the roof of your shop?

Current plan is to use radiant in the floor, leave the ceiling open and
spraf foam the bottom of the roof. My wife would like composition,
metal attracts me because it is a bit less, lasts a LONG time, and
likely is not an issue for foam contact like the heat retention of
composition would be.

The ceiling of my shop is uninsulated drywall. The underside of all the
roof decks were sprayed with Icynene. This way you can actually use the
attic space because the temperature in the attic only gets somewhat
warmer or cooler than the actually heated and cooled interior space.
The attic isn't actively heated or cooled.

Other than shop dust collecting on the uneven foam sprayed on the
underside of the roof deck the open ceiling would seem to be no problem.
Just make sure when they spray the foam that the eave where the roof
meets the wall gets sprayed and sealed. With an open ceiling this would
not be such a tight space, but usually extra work is required at the
eaves to seal any large gaps before spraying. Depends on the spray foam
installer and the construction.