Posted to rec.woodworking
Mekon

Default Prayer funiture.

I need to make one of those pieces of furniture you might see a nun use in
an old movie. It is about waist high with a small slope at the top to rest
hands on while praying.

Does anyone know what they are called so I can look for a pic?

I haven't gone all religious in my old age, my theatre company is doing
"Agnes of God" and I have to make the set and props.

Thanks

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny

Many folks have these in their homes, here in south Louisiana. The
French/Cajun culture call them Praydeurs (kneelers). I make donated
items for the Sacred Heart Academy's Conje Festival and have made one a
few years ago. I have pics I can send you.... I have yet to learn how
to post pics on this format's picture center.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Mekon" wrote:
I need to make one of those pieces of furniture you might see a nun use in
an old movie. It is about waist high with a small slope at the top to rest
hands on while praying.

Does anyone know what they are called so I can look for a pic?

Yep -- they're called prayer kneelers. Or "prie dieu".

e.g.
http://www.heavenlywood.com/prie_dieu.htm

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article .com, "Sonny" wrote:
Many folks have these in their homes, here in south Louisiana. The
French/Cajun culture call them Praydeurs (kneelers).

The correct spelling is "prie dieu" (pray to God). Not a flame, just a
correction for the benefit of anyone who wants to Google the term.

I make donated
items for the Sacred Heart Academy's Conje Festival and have made one a
few years ago. I have pics I can send you.... I have yet to learn how
to post pics on this format's picture center.

This isn't a binary group. You can't post pics here. If you try, newsservers
will strip them off anyway.

Woodworking pics can be posted at ABPW (alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking) or
ABPF (...furniture).

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

wrote:
Many folks have these in their homes, here in south Louisiana. The
French/Cajun culture call them Praydeurs (kneelers).

The correct spelling is "prie dieu" (pray to God). Not a flame, just a
correction for the benefit of anyone who wants to Google the term.

LOL ... you gotta be from there to appreciate that Sonny was giving you the
typical Cajun patois plural: spell it like it sounds and add an "s".

Apparently it's getting pricey to pray in style ... or maybe it always has
been?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny

LOL. I know a few words and phrases, since I've heard them often
enough. Otherwise, I don't speak or know French, so I didn't know how
to correctly spell prie dieu....but I can make one! Thanks for the
correction.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mekon

Thanks all,

Sonny's pics arrived and arte all I need to build one. Now all I need is a
director without a God complex!

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Mekon wrote:
Thanks all,

Sonny's pics arrived and arte all I need to build one. Now all I need is a
director without a God complex!

"I'm sorry, my Father's busy. May *I* help you?"

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mekon

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In article ,
Mekon wrote:
Thanks all,

Sonny's pics arrived and arte all I need to build one. Now all I need is

director without a God complex!

"I'm sorry, my Father's busy. May *I* help you?"

Hehehehe

I always explain to people new to the theatre that there are three types of
people who work putting on plays.
The actors who are the show ponies of the world ("Couldn't that spot thingy
up there be a bit brighter when it shines on me?")
The Directors who get their 'vision' straight from God ("I don't care if
that doorway has nothing to screw into, it has to stand there all by itself
and not wobble when actors slam it!")
Then there are those like me the techs and support staff who work hard
supporting the delusions of the first two.

Mekon