Posted to rec.woodworking
Kevin Coleman

Default Biesemeye set up questions

I just assembled a new Unisaw and it cuts wood like a knife through
butter. I have a few questions though and not sure if I am being too picky.
I picked up a set of fractional calipers and the superbar to help in the set
up and I found out a few things. Again, not sure that I need to be so
bloody perfect but given the coin I just spend I want to make sure I have a
dialed in set up.

1. The fence has a small bow to it right next to where the blade starts.
its about .003 inches. I adjusted the fence to the ends are aligned but
here a small varience in the fence. I assume that wont be a big deal but
just want to know what the experts think

2. The extension table has a bow in it right in the middle of the table
about 1/16 if an inch. should I sent it back or make a new one

Thanks in advance. If I am being too bloody picky let me know so I can leave
well enought along. Seems like since I can measure to a precision of .001 I
am fixiated on getting it exact

Finally, I am interested in building an auxillary fence for the biesemeyer
and was thinking of drilling some holes in the center of the top of the
fence and taping them so I can get some bolts to hold the aux fence to the
biesemeyer. Any comments or gotchas with this set up. I was planning to
build the set up from an older shop notes that I have.

Best regards

KC

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:33:04 -0700, "Kevin Coleman"
wrote:

1. The fence has a small bow to it right next to where the blade starts.
its about .003 inches. I adjusted the fence to the ends are aligned but
here a small varience in the fence. I assume that wont be a big deal but
just want to know what the experts think

I'll be honest, I haven't even checked mine. I wouldn't think that
..003 would be a problem though.

2. The extension table has a bow in it right in the middle of the table
about 1/16 if an inch. should I sent it back or make a new one

I've never seen the factory model so I'm not sure how they are put
together. Making a new one is not a problem and might be a good
first project for the new saw.
As for the one you have, depending on how it's constructed, could you
shim under the cross braces (if there are any) to raise the surface to
where you need it?

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Kevin Coleman" wrote in message
Seems like since I can measure to a precision of .001 I am fixiated on
getting it exact

I think we have identified the problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

how's the saw cut?

anything else is irrelevant.

Posted to rec.woodworking
jd

..003 is beyond anal in woodworking. .03 is simply ridiculous. don't worry
about it. a 1/16 might warrant correcting, but I wouldn't bother (from your
description it sounds like there is some sag in the middle fothe table). I'd
make a couple of test cuts, and see how accurate they are. if it does need
correcting, you can slip some shims under the cross bars under the surface.

as to tapping the fence, it should work, but what I dis is make a saddle
that slips over the top and has clamps that tighten on the right side of the
fence to hold it in place. Has the benefit of being able to fit anywhere
along the fence, not just where the holes are, and is easily duplicated for
other jigs....

-_JD

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

wrote:

I just assembled a new Unisaw and it cuts wood like a knife through
butter. I have a few questions though and not sure if I am being too picky.
I picked up a set of fractional calipers and the superbar to help in the set
up and I found out a few things. Again, not sure that I need to be so
bloody perfect but given the coin I just spend I want to make sure I have a
dialed in set up.

1. The fence has a small bow to it right next to where the blade starts.
its about .003 inches. I adjusted the fence to the ends are aligned but
here a small varience in the fence. I assume that wont be a big deal but
just want to know what the experts think

well within tolerance and certainly suitable and functional

2. The extension table has a bow in it right in the middle of the table
about 1/16 if an inch. should I sent it back or make a new one

Unless you intend to make a new one out of completely moisture stable
material or keep it in a completely climate controlled environment, it
will probably have some seasonal bow also.

Thanks in advance. If I am being too bloody picky let me know so I can leave
well enought along. Seems like since I can measure to a precision of .001 I
am fixiated on getting it exact

Finally, I am interested in building an auxillary fence for the biesemeyer
and was thinking of drilling some holes in the center of the top of the
fence and taping them so I can get some bolts to hold the aux fence to the
biesemeyer. Any comments or gotchas with this set up. I was planning to
build the set up from an older shop notes that I have.

Best regards

KC

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

It's a "Biesemeyer" and yes, the fence is NOT straight.

That's because the fence is a piece of metal to which
two pieces of laminated plywood are bolted.

To test this theory...

Using a dial indicator that runs down the miter slot,
observe the dial indicator with the tip touching the
fence for the entire length of the fence.

You "might" find a flat, straight Biesemeyer but you are going
to be looking for quite a while.

If the saw cuts straight with no burning or binding, get on with
your life.

The extension table is designed to hold material for very brief
periods. Does it interfere with the fence movement ??? If so,
build a new and flatter extension table.

The Delta tables are made from laminated MDF.
Will they bow ??? YES....
Will it matter ??? NO ...

Kevin Coleman wrote:

I just assembled a new Unisaw and it cuts wood like a knife through
butter. I have a few questions though and not sure if I am being too picky.

2. The extension table has a bow in it right in the middle of the table
about 1/16 if an inch. should I sent it back or make a new one

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Kevin Coleman"
I just assembled a new Unisaw and it cuts wood like a knife through
butter. I have a few questions though and not sure if I am being too
picky.

snip

Finally, I am interested in building an auxillary fence for the biesemeyer
and was thinking of drilling some holes in the center of the top of the
fence and taping them so I can get some bolts to hold the aux fence to the
biesemeyer. Any comments or gotchas with this set up. I was planning to
build the set up from an older shop notes that I have.

Other posters have answered the accuracy issue. However, for tapping the top
of your fence. Its too thin to tap. Drill and use RIVNUTS. Or drill a
larger hole on the bottom and use nuts and bolts. Or make a bolting plate
that slips in from the end.
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tex

In article ,
says...
It's a "Biesemeyer" and yes, the fence is NOT straight.
That's because the fence is a piece of metal to which
two pieces of laminated plywood are bolted.

To test this theory...
Using a dial indicator that runs down the miter slot,
observe the dial indicator with the tip touching the
fence for the entire length of the fence.

You "might" find a flat, straight Biesemeyer but you are going
to be looking for quite a while. If the saw cuts straight with
no burning or binding, get on with your life.

... snipped

Kevin Coleman wrote:
I just assembled a new Unisaw and it cuts wood like a knife through
butter. I have a few questions though and not sure if I am being too picky.

2. The extension table has a bow in it right in the middle of the table
about 1/16 if an inch. should I sent it back or make a new one

My Powermatic 66 fence is not perfectly straight all the way down its
length either. There are small "dips and bulges" all the way down that
makes the runout guage vary a little, but no more than 3-5 thousandths.
However, the back and front ends are almost exactly "on". I just set
the back end relative to the front end to toe out about 0.005". That
accounts for the biggest "bulge". Cuts are smooth, no binding, no
burning and even on a 4 foot rip, the board edges are parallel to +-
1/64th, perhaps less. That's about as close as my eyes can measure.

Kevin, as was pointed out above, if there's no binding or burning, then
great. However, if the edges of a board are out of parallel as much as
1/32" I'd be displeased. I build furniture and 1/32" is about half the
width of the Grand Canyon. But, then, 1/32" is not critical to a lot of
projects nor to a lot of people.

Tex
Posted to rec.woodworking
tdup2

Tom Tomlin's Table Saw book uses a biesemeyer fence and he did just that and
uses a lot of attachments that he made for it. They all work great I have
made most.