Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme

Default What is water oak?

I just re-sawed a small log from a tree that came down during one of our
hurricanes here in Florida. I have always been told that this type of
tree is called a water oak. It is deciduous and I believe is native.
They are all over.

The wood is beautifully spalted and lovely, but quite light in weight,
and seems very soft. I can scratch it with my thumbnail. Not like any
oak I have seen before.

Does anybody know anything more about this wood?

Thanks,
Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy

eclipsme wrote in news:rvO4g.32666$Kh5.28876
@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

I just re-sawed a small log from a tree that came down during one of our
hurricanes here in Florida. I have always been told that this type of
tree is called a water oak. It is deciduous and I believe is native.
They are all over.

There's a dozen or more very similar oaks that inhabit north Florida.
All of them are evergreen (drop their old leaves in the spring after
the new leaves come in). They grow pretty quickly. They differ from
live oaks in not producing massive horizontal branches.

The wood is beautifully spalted and lovely, but quite light in weight,
and seems very soft. I can scratch it with my thumbnail. Not like any
oak I have seen before.

In my experience, Florida oaks produce very dense, heavy, hard
to work wood. They're red oaks, not terribly durable, tend to
smell awful when cut, and don't usually have attractive figure.
They're good for pallets, and not too much else.

I'm guessing your wood has started to rot (which makes sense
if it's spalted). Might be good for turning if you can
stabilize it afterward.

John