Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

Default Mac or any other Turners

How complex is it to make a wood bottle, or container, that has a
screw-on top or cap that fits tight and clean to the base. I guess the
real question is - how complex is it to make the threads, etc.

Thx
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article , Joe Joe wrote:
How complex is it to make a wood bottle, or container, that has a
screw-on top or cap that fits tight and clean to the base. I guess the
real question is - how complex is it to make the threads, etc.

I'm not a turner.

There _are_ 'tap and die' sets that are made for cutting threads in wooden
pieces, however.

Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

Joe wrote:

How complex is it to make a wood bottle, or container, that has a
screw-on top or cap that fits tight and clean to the base. I guess the
real question is - how complex is it to make the threads, etc.

Thx

You might want to try posting this question on "rec.crafts.woodturning".
Ping Fred Holder, he's a regular there. He's written at least one
book on the subject. See:

http://www.astragalpress.com/making_screwthreads.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

There is a thread cutting attachment for the wood lathe that makes
prescision threads in almost anything. DIY Wood turning had a program
showing how it works. The commercial ones are fairly pricey, but
someone handy with a welder and lathe could build one.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:54:24 -0400, Joe wrote:

How complex is it to make a wood bottle, or container, that has a
screw-on top or cap that fits tight and clean to the base. I guess the
real question is - how complex is it to make the threads, etc.

Thx

Joe...
Ask Paul Loseby....

http://www.loseby.co.uk/

We've been having a very interesting email discussion about his "thread chasing"
skills..

I think you can also cheat and buy inserts from places like Lee Valley?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Things we do to impress other turners Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 14 March 3rd 05 05:08 AM
Disabled turners? Tim Woodturning 17 February 21st 05 05:39 PM
Turners in South Dallas area Art Ransom Woodturning 0 November 9th 04 02:14 PM
Teenage Turners Training Days in the UK Reyd Dorakeen Woodturning 1 March 14th 04 06:48 PM