Posted to rec.woodworking
Tex

Default TS Question

When I verify/set my TS blade to perpendicular vs. the table, I put a
right angle square on the table and align it with the blade. However, I
always end up wondering whether I really lined it up with the plane of
the blade or if blade teeth got in the way and I ended up with the blade
a bit out of perpendicular.

It seems that someone would make a simple disk that could be installed
instead of a real blade to be used for such calibration purposes. Does
anyone know of such an item?

Thanks,
Tex
Posted to rec.woodworking
Shopdog

I align my TS with the teeth and not the flat of the blade

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Tex wrote:

When I verify/set my TS blade to perpendicular vs. the table, I put a
right angle square on the table and align it with the blade. However, I
always end up wondering whether I really lined it up with the plane of
the blade or if blade teeth got in the way and I ended up with the blade
a bit out of perpendicular.

It seems that someone would make a simple disk that could be installed
instead of a real blade to be used for such calibration purposes. Does
anyone know of such an item?

Oldest trick in the book.

Raise blade full amount, then place a piece of 6" vertical stock
oagainst miter gage and make a test cut about an inch from the end using
the left slot for the gage.

Transfer miter gage to right hand slot, turn piece around, and make a
cut thru the same slot you just cut.

If the cut edges of the slot are parallel, the blade is vertical.

If not, adjust blade as required and repeat test.

I have about as much need for a saw blade gage as a boar hog with a set
of breasts.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Tex" wrote in message

It seems that someone would make a simple disk that could be installed
instead of a real blade to be used for such calibration purposes. Does
anyone know of such an item?

There are "reference plates", instead of blades, that are used by
manufacturers to set up saws with the miter slots at the factory, but doing
it in a shop for setting blade angle is a bit anal, and unnecessary, IMO.

Simply use a smaller square, or Lew's method, which is fool proof and has
the advantage of actually calibrating the tool _combination_ you'll be
using.

IOW, it is a good idea to setup any tool with the blade/bit you're going to
be using, otherwise you could well be fooling yourself.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Go to Sears and purchase their 10" sanding disk. Remove the stick-on
sandpaper, clean off any residue with mineral spirits and use that to align
blades. I've cleaned mine up by mounting it and bringing it up to speed and
then with a fine grit paper stuck to a 2" wide x 2 ft long board, I polished
both sides then applied a coat of wax and buffed.

If you don't have sandpaper on the disc or have a rust inhibitor on it, the
blade will rust in humid conditions. Since I have a rotary sander already,
I don't use that disc for sanding - just for alignments. If you have a
contractor type table saw that has two tie-bars - that disc works great in
aligning those too. If you've never done that alignment - maybe you should
check it.

Bob S.

"Tex" wrote in message
When I verify/set my TS blade to perpendicular vs. the table, I put a
right angle square on the table and align it with the blade. However, I
always end up wondering whether I really lined it up with the plane of
the blade or if blade teeth got in the way and I ended up with the blade
a bit out of perpendicular.

It seems that someone would make a simple disk that could be installed
instead of a real blade to be used for such calibration purposes. Does
anyone know of such an item?

Thanks,
Tex

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Tex" wrote in message
When I verify/set my TS blade to perpendicular vs. the table, I put a
right angle square on the table and align it with the blade. However, I
always end up wondering whether I really lined it up with the plane of
the blade or if blade teeth got in the way and I ended up with the blade
a bit out of perpendicular.

It seems that someone would make a simple disk that could be installed
instead of a real blade to be used for such calibration purposes. Does
anyone know of such an item?

Thanks,
Tex

Ok, to check for the baled being perpendicular to the table SIMPLY make a
test cut through a piece of scrap. Flop one piece over end for end and
match the two cut edges back together. If you have a gap you are not
cutting square to the table. If you have no gap you are set at 90 degrees.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Leon" wrote in message news:nAg1g.72452

Ok, to check for the baled

????? baled ????? BALDE. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused

Leon wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message news:nAg1g.72452
Ok, to check for the baled

????? baled ????? BALDE. ;~)

Uh, Leon?

Don't look now but... g

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
Leon wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message news:nAg1g.72452

Ok, to check for the baled

????? baled ????? BALDE. ;~)

Uh, Leon?

Don't look now but... g

You should blead insanity. Crazy 'bout that new saw.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Enoch Root" wrote in message

Uh, Leon?

Don't look now but... g

You should blead insanity. Crazy 'bout that new saw.

LOL...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Leon wrote:
"Enoch Root" wrote in message

Uh, Leon?

Don't look now but... g

You should blead insanity. Crazy 'bout that new saw.

LOL...

Hah, now you have a label.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Oldest trick in the book.

Raise blade full amount, then place a piece of 6" vertical stock
oagainst miter gage and make a test cut about an inch from the end using
the left slot for the gage.

I just flip the cutoff and butt the two cut edges together. Any error
is doubled.

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Tex" wrote in message
m...
Thanks, everybody. After looking at the price from Rockler, I think
I'll rethink my need for such an item and follow a path some of the
other responders have.

Tex

Good decision. You do not need a tool to tell you what your eyes can see.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:35:47 GMT, Tex wrote:

When I verify/set my TS blade to perpendicular vs. the table, I put a
right angle square on the table and align it with the blade. However, I
always end up wondering whether I really lined it up with the plane of
the blade or if blade teeth got in the way and I ended up with the blade
a bit out of perpendicular.

It seems that someone would make a simple disk that could be installed
instead of a real blade to be used for such calibration purposes. Does
anyone know of such an item?

Thanks,
Tex

Manufacturers do use such plates, both disks and long plates along
with special squares to set and check 90 and 45 degree blade alignment
to the slot, arbor runnout, and perpendicularity to the table. I have
a set, however, I've never seen them available for sale. We made our
own and they had to be numbered and calibrated every so often
consistent with a gage calibration procedure in a quality manual for
ISO 9000.

However, a good square set on the blade body in between teeth on a
quality saw blade should certainly get you as close as you need to be.
If it is a quality blade any radial runout difference between the body
and the plane of the teeth will be miniscule.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Frank Boettcher wrote:

Manufacturers do use such plates, both disks and long plates along
with special squares to set and check 90 and 45 degree blade alignment
to the slot, arbor runnout, and perpendicularity to the table. I have
a set, however, I've never seen them available for sale.

I don't think they're all that useful for the average user, compared to
all of the previously mentioned methods, but:

http://www.forrestsawbladesonline.com/category_40_MasterPlate.html

I've also seen blank Forrest and other brand saw blades. FWW has shown
the Forrest blank in saw review articles.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:35:47 GMT, Tex wrote:

It seems that someone would make a simple disk that could be installed
instead of a real blade to be used for such calibration purposes. Does
anyone know of such an item?

I don't know who would make such a thing, but in the latest issue of
Fine Woodworking, when they're testing cabinet saws, they specifically
show that they are using one to test calibration. (June 2006, page 48,
upper picture)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Freud certainly makes one:

http://www.freudtools.com/woodworker...ssories_1.html

Brian Henderson wrote:

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:35:47 GMT, Tex wrote:

It seems that someone would make a simple disk that could be installed
instead of a real blade to be used for such calibration purposes. Does
anyone know of such an item?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

charlie b wrote:
No one mentioned the TS-Aligner Jr?
http://www.ts-aligner.com/

For most of those tasks I just use a regular dial indicator with
magnetic base. For things involving the table saw slots, the mag base
sticks just fine to the mitre gauge.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

No one mentioned the TS-Aligner Jr?
http://www.ts-aligner.com/

If you want to align the blade to the
miter slot

If you want to align the fence to the
miter slot

If you want to align the fence to the
miter slot

If you want to check that the blade is
square (or any other angle) to the
table

If you want to check runout on
your saw arbor

If you want to check knives setting
in joiner/jointer

If you want to check infeed and outfeed
tables on joiner to cutter head

If you want to check drill bit to
table for sqaure

If you want to check run out on your
drill press and or bit

:
:
:
This tool will do the job - accurately.

Better to know than to assume.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Chris Friesen wrote:

For most of those tasks I just use a regular dial indicator with
magnetic base.

Same here.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"RM MS" wrote in message
Yeah, it's the damn blade you just hung on it. Just crank it up all the
way and use any cnveniently-sized square to chack it (you have those?)
Don't touch the teeth, OK? Man, why do you think everthing has to be
perfect? I do perfect work for a living and believe me, it ain't the
table saw where I look for it.

I will give you the benefit of knowing why your method of squaring a blade
90 degrees to the table will not always work rather than your answer of
Horse ****.

Not all blades have parallel sides. Many are hollow ground.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM