Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Why is a Frog on a plane called a Frog?

In article ,
TWS wrote:
Can anyone give me the reason a 'frog' is called a frog?

Thanks in advance,
TWS

I always thought it was just because of the general wedge-like shape
and it's resemblance to a frog sitting. In fact the term "frog" is not
too uncommon to describe similarly shaped parts in various tools and
machinery besides planes.

I must say, though, that when I read the subject line of your post,
the first thing I thought was that this was an OT post with a joke
about a frog on an airplane.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article .com,
RicodJour wrote:

wrote:
In article ,
TWS wrote:
Can anyone give me the reason a 'frog' is called a frog?

Thanks in advance,
TWS

I always thought it was just because of the general wedge-like shape
and it's resemblance to a frog sitting. In fact the term "frog" is not
too uncommon to describe similarly shaped parts in various tools and
machinery besides planes.

I must say, though, that when I read the subject line of your post,
the first thing I thought was that this was an OT post with a joke
about a frog on an airplane.

Hmmm. Good point. Free bag of planer chips (great lightly salted!) to
the person who comes up with the best punch line.

How about:
1) "Because they wouldn't let him fly under an assumed name"
2) "Because it would be impolite to call him 'dinner'"
3) "Because his friend the Wop/Chink/Pollock/{other ethinc identifier}
_said_ to"

Posted to rec.woodworking
Australopithecus scobis

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 06:06:12 -0700, RicodJour opined:

Hmmm. Good point. Free bag of planer chips (great lightly salted!) to
the person who comes up with the best punch line.

"... It was the CIGAR!"
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
RicodJour wrote:

Hmmm. Good point. Free bag of planer chips (great lightly salted!) to
the person who comes up with the best punch line.

"Nebba mine thah... Juth ungshick by tug!"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Can anyone give me the reason a 'frog' is called a frog?

Maybe for the same reason that piece of iron they use to rerail boxcars
on the
railroad is called a frog, which is....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

I must say, though, that when I read the subject line of your post,
the first thing I thought was that this was an OT post with a joke
about a frog on an airplane.

Hmmm. Good point. Free bag of planer chips (great lightly salted!) to
the person who comes up with the best punch line.

How about:
1) "Because they wouldn't let him fly under an assumed name"
2) "Because it would be impolite to call him 'dinner'"
3) "Because his friend the Wop/Chink/Pollock/{other ethinc identifier}
_said_ to"

Because he's from Quebec?

Max