Posted to rec.woodworking
Ian - DIY Extraordinaire

Default ACQ Pressure Treated Wood - Safe?

I built a dog house yesterday for a new lab puppy we're getting. I
bought pressure treated wood (both plywood and 2x4's), figuring it
would be exposed to the elements.

I didn't consider that the dog could potentially chew on the wood until
today. I
was lucky in that the store had ACQ wood as opposed to CCA treated
wood, as the arsenic in CCA treated wood is definitely harmful / fatal
if ingested.

However, is my dog safe with the ACQ wood? It has no toxic chemicals,
and is safer than CCA treated wood, but I can't find anything regarding

ingesting ACQ wood, such as lab testing, or stories with bad endings
involving ACQ wood. What is everyone's opinion on using the ACQ wood
for the dog house, and is there any testing done that I could look at
to set my mind at ease?

Thanks everyone.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve DeMars

Burn dog house or convert to compost bin . . . will make dog sick . . . sick
dog equals big vet bill . . . And I can promise you if anything happens to
the dog, miraculously the vet will determine it was caused by the evil
treated wood & you will become an idiot forever within your family. lose
respect and probably be stricken from the family bible . . .

The Realist AKA "Steve"

"Ian - DIY Extraordinaire" wrote in message
oups.com...
I built a dog house yesterday for a new lab puppy we're getting. I
bought pressure treated wood (both plywood and 2x4's), figuring it
would be exposed to the elements.

I didn't consider that the dog could potentially chew on the wood until
today. I
was lucky in that the store had ACQ wood as opposed to CCA treated
wood, as the arsenic in CCA treated wood is definitely harmful / fatal
if ingested.

However, is my dog safe with the ACQ wood? It has no toxic chemicals,
and is safer than CCA treated wood, but I can't find anything regarding

ingesting ACQ wood, such as lab testing, or stories with bad endings
involving ACQ wood. What is everyone's opinion on using the ACQ wood
for the dog house, and is there any testing done that I could look at
to set my mind at ease?

Thanks everyone.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gooey TARBALLS

Give him a bone, a big one. Maybe two or three.

If he prefers treated wood to marrow bones, replace him.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ian

anybody with a usefull response?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gooey TARBALLS wrote:
Give him a bone, a big one. Maybe two or three.

If he prefers treated wood to marrow bones, replace him.

When I brought my 9-week-old yellow (yallah) Lab home, he immediately
began chewing on my concrete steps. He next chewed completely through
some 14-guage stranded copper speaker wire. Lewis Grizzard's beloved
Lab, Catfish, ate a large part of his driveway.

Never underestimate a Lab's ability to chew on the dumbest things you
can ever think of.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gooey TARBALLS

Sorry 'bout that. But, if the canine is into chewing anything and
everything, its difficult to determine what building materials would not
impact his digestive system or health. You already know that PT wood is not
good to eat, regardless the treatment used.

You could pour a concrete slab and build upon that - but the use of PT is
recommended for any wood in contact with the concrete slab.

What about the recycled "pseudo wood" deck boards? Expensive, plastic and
hard to chew.

I lined my doghouse with 2" foam and thin fiberglass sheeting (like that
found in bathrooms) to create an easy to clean, insulated spot for my pet to
repair to in inclement weather. But I never considered he would try and eat
it.

And, he never used it! Least not that I could prove.

"Ian" wrote in message
oups.com...
anybody with a usefull response?

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

[...]

Supposedly ACQ is OK for playground stuff. Kids chew on that
continuously. However, I wouldn't have it in my backyard regardless.
YMMV. As one guy said, buy him bones and toys. Train him not to chew
on the wood.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

[...]

I would ask the manufacturer their opinion and for and studies they might
have access to so that you can make an informed decision. As you have
already noticed by asking here you will get a lot of answers not based of
facts

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ian wrote:
anybody with a usefull response?

Nah, I think we'll just keep bull-crappin around on you.

Here's a useful response: Don't be an asshole by posting messages like
"anybody with a usefull (sic) response?"

Here's another usefull (sic) response: Do a google search on it. Read
the MSDS on it which is very widely available on the Internet.

Here's yet another useful response: Get a different dog. You don't
deserve a Lab.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ian

Thanks everybody.

, read the two responses which precede my "any
useful responses?". It isn't like people gave me a real answer and I
decided it was stupid. As for the google search on it, I've already
done it, and found a lot of the usual non-comittal jargon about how
safe it is or isn't.

I'm leaning towards replacing everything but the foundation frame with
untreated wood, but would still appreciate it if anyone had helpful
information.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Gooey TARBALLS wrote:
: Give him a bone, a big one. Maybe two or three.

My dog got very ill, and had to be hospitalized, from having chewed
on a big bone and ingesting shards of bone.

Don't give bones to dogs.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

[...]

I suggest getting the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for the
wood (which I believe the vendor must make available to
you; it's also probably available online), then call a good vet and ask about
those specific chemicals.

Also, and this may be faster, there should be an animal or pet poison control
center in your state. If not, call one in a different state. They
know their stuff.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking
No

[...]

Personally - I wouldn't worry about it. If you are concerned then build
from cedar. I cant imagine a dog ingesting that much wood. My dog is a
real chewer but doesn't bother with the dog house (Old wood boards,
painted, not treated). I expect the dog house to outlast the dog.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Allison

[...]

I built a large doghouse out of CCA treated wood. The
doghouse was 4'x8'x4'tall. I have had 3 different dogs in it
with no ill effects. My dogs did not chew the wood, though.
Chewed everything else for a while, but not the wood.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article n8w_f.840$B42.576@dukeread05, "Steve DeMars" wrote:
Burn dog house

Wrong answer. Don't burn treated lumber.

or convert to compost bin . . .

Wrong answer, part II -- unless the compost is to be used on flower gardens
only (not on a vegetable garden).

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

[...]

The "safe handling information sheet" states "Do not use (ACQ) preserved
wood under circumstances where the preservative may become a component
of food, animal feed or beehives."

If your dog is ingesting the wood I'd think that would qualify the ACQ
as a component of "animal feed".

See:

http://www.ufpi.com/product/ptlumber/ptfaq.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Al

I don't know about all this I used CDX to build my dogs house years ago she
never got sick and stayed dry and warm snow or rain. We had plenty of both
when I was growing up. I would to this day make another out of plain old
CDX slap some pant on the outside and call it good. Never hurt our labs or
other dogs we had. The dog house is still in use with the people that live
there now. Well it worked for me good luck..

Al

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Al

"Al" wrote in message
news
I don't know about all this I used CDX to build my dogs house years ago she
never got sick and stayed dry and warm snow or rain. We had plenty of both
when I was growing up. I would to this day make another out of plain old
CDX slap some pant on the outside and call it good. Never hurt our labs or

thats paint who needs spell check? lol

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I can only offer the anecdotal information that one of our dogs has
chewed LOTS of the older CCA PT lumber with no apparent ill effects.
She "may" be "part" lab.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Ian - DIY Extraordinaire wrote:
I built a dog house yesterday for a new lab puppy we're getting. I
bought pressure treated wood (both plywood and 2x4's), figuring it
would be exposed to the elements.

I didn't consider that the dog could potentially chew on the wood until
today.

Timbersil would have been the ticket.
timbersil.com

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ian

thanks everybody for the very helpful responses. I'm going to leave it
as is, and electrify the wood in case she does chew on it. Just
kidding, she'll be fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

I think ACQ wood is treated with copper rather than arsenic.
It'll still be toxic to the dog -- just not as bad as the
arsenic laden stuff. I'd replace the doghouse.

Ian - DIY Extraordinaire wrote:
I built a dog house yesterday for a new lab puppy we're getting. I
bought pressure treated wood (both plywood and 2x4's), figuring it
would be exposed to the elements.

I didn't consider that the dog could potentially chew on the wood until
today. I
was lucky in that the store had ACQ wood as opposed to CCA treated
wood, as the arsenic in CCA treated wood is definitely harmful / fatal
if ingested.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Gooey TARBALLS wrote:
Huttig Building Products
St. Louis, Missouri
www.huttig.com

http://www.timbersil.com/authorized-treaters.html

Thai's it - only one outlet is USA!

Please translate.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Berger wrote:
I think ACQ wood is treated with copper rather than arsenic

CCA is an acronym for Chromated Copper Arsenate. It has
both copper and arsenic in it and chromates are rather
unhealthy too.
..
It'll still be toxic to the dog -- just not as bad as the
arsenic laden stuff. I'd replace the doghouse.

Me too.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
Gooey TARBALLS wrote:
Huttig Building Products
St. Louis, Missouri
www.huttig.com

http://www.timbersil.com/authorized-treaters.html

Thai's it - only one outlet is USA!

Please translate.

JP

OK:

�伊生气写�: �的TARBALLS 写�: Huttig
大厦产�圣路易斯, 密�里www.huttig.com
http://www.timbersil.com/authorized-treaters.html 泰国它-
�一个出�是美国! 请翻译。 JP

Hope that helps!

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

I agree. I would not put my pet into a toxic home. If done right, a dog
house made of untreated lumber will last longer than the dog.

wrote in message
oups.com...

.