Posted to rec.woodworking
cm

Default what rpm motor for a jointer?

I have an old jointer I need to set up today and was wondering what rpm
motor I should use?

Thanks,

Craig

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

cm wrote:
I have an old jointer I need to set up today and was wondering what rpm
motor I should use?

Thanks,

Craig

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

Doesn't matter what the speed rpm motor you use,
you will need to get the rpm of the cutter shaft
to about 4500 RPM.

You adjust the speed by selecting the correct
sized pulleys. For example if you use a 1750 RPM
motor, divide 4500 by 1750 and get 2.6. That
means the diameter of the pulley on the motor must
be 2.6 times the diameter of the pulley on the
cutter shaft to achieve a 4500 rpm. If you use a
3500 rpm motor then the motor pulley should be 1.3
times the diameter of the cutter pulley.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
cm wrote:
I have an old jointer I need to set up today and was wondering what rpm
motor I should use?

Thanks,

Craig

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

A little more information would be necessary to answer your question.
Besides, with the right pulley sizes, you could use any RPM motor.
The correct approach is determining the cutterhead speed and then
calculating pulley sizes to match a standard RPM motor. To figure out
the cutterhead RPM you need to know the effective diameter of the
circle the knives make as they spin, the number of knives, then you
can (I imagine you can anyway) probably google recommended surface speed
for that combination and start working backwards to figure out pulley
sizes & RPMs.

OR, you could just look at a similarly sized and equipped working jointer
and take it from there.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gooey TARBALLS

Is there an optimum speed?

Would this change depending upon the number of blades"

Or is the speed determined by the number of CUTS PER MINUTE?

While we're on the subject, would three blades be the max number of blades
used?

Are there other cutter head types (beside blades) in use on jointers?

wrote in message
In article ,
cm wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

cm wrote:
I have an old jointer I need to set up today and was wondering what rpm
motor I should use?

Thanks,

Craig

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

you got some good answers to your motor speed question. what hasn't
been addressed is motor horsepower. pullies will get you to the right
cutterhead speed, but you need enough hp to drive it. you don't say
what size your jointer is, but for comparison I have a 2 hp motor on my
8" jointer and that seems about right.