Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Default resawing bandsaw blade TPI

Every review, tape, and discussion I've read on resawing with a 14" bandsaw
recommends a 3TPI, 1/2" blade.

Except David Marks. I watched his shop tour show today, and he recommended
a 6 tpi blade, and then proceeded to resaw a piece of figured koa about
8" wide.

Has anyone here done a comparison of different blades for this
sort of application?

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Andrew Barss wrote:
Every review, tape, and discussion I've read on resawing with a 14" bandsaw
recommends a 3TPI, 1/2" blade.

Except David Marks. I watched his shop tour show today, and he recommended
a 6 tpi blade, and then proceeded to resaw a piece of figured koa about
8" wide.

Has anyone here done a comparison of different blades for this
sort of application?

The way I heard it, it was at least six teeth biting the wood at a time.
More than that and you have to slow down or risk clogging the gullets
and warming the blade.

So if you just work more slowly you're probably ok.

On a 14" bandsaw you might have to do that anyway, because it'll have a
1 or 1-1/2hp motor and a dense wood'll demand it.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
news:Gs2dnc23U6km4qrZnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@forethought. net...

Has anyone here done a comparison of different blades for this
sort of application?

The way I heard it, it was at least six teeth biting the wood at a time.
More than that and you have to slow down or risk clogging the gullets
and warming the blade.

So if you just work more slowly you're probably ok.

On a 14" bandsaw you might have to do that anyway, because it'll have a
1 or 1-1/2hp motor and a dense wood'll demand it.

That's the one. It's taking out the trash that counts. Easier with fewer
teeth, but if the saw's a monster and the wood's not wet or stringy, finer
blades make finer cuts. The real controversy is whether hook or skip
patterns are best....