Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking
Rick Maunder

Default Advice with repair to Martin D15 acoustic

Hi,

I have a much loved Martin D15

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/...php?p=m&m=D-15

which has 'developed' a major split in the headstock. You can see some
pics he

http://www.richardmaunder.com/D15/

I'm not sure how this happened - the split isn't visible on the tuning
face. I only realised something was wrong when the guitar wouldn't hold
tune. Most likely it got knocked over by someone - though I can't see
any other signs of damage. It doesn't seen likely this could happen
spontaneously - the guitar is about 6 years old.

Anyway I would like to get it repaired and have a few questions......

i) Is a feasible repair - without replacing the whole neck? I think
so.... I assume this is non trivial given this is an area of major
stress. it's not just a question of someone squirting some glue in and
clamping it up. It may required break the split right open to rejoin
properly.

ii) I live in Geneva, Switzerland but also regularly visit UK (London
area). Do people have any recommendations for someone/shop which can do
this (ideally in Switzerland)?

Any idea of approximate cost would be good too. I have in mind about
£100 ($150 / Euro) - but this is just a wild guess.

This isn't a super expensive guitar - and the repair won't affect the
set of neck so it isn't critical - but I do want it done right as I
love the guitar and would hate it to be screwed up by a ham-fisted job.

Any info would be great!

Cheers

Rick

Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking
No

Rick - A good wood glue is going to be stronger than the wood. Squirt some
in, clamp it and you will have a functional repair. If you want a really
good repair that would involve making it not noticable then I would consider
sending it back to Martin in the states (Pennsylvania) on one of their EU
service centers http://www.martinguitar.com/dealers/...php?state=INAT

Good luck

Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking

Rick:

I own a 1968 D-18 and tho I haven't played it in years, I too
wouldn't trust it to just any one.

Suggestion - call or email the Martin factory.

I did a Google and here's a name if found (no recommendation at all):

Marioni Archtop Guitars
3 , rue John Grasset
CH 1205, Geneva
Switzerland
Tel.0041 79 214 1312

website: www.marioni.com

I'd also call around some orchestra headquarters, they might know
someone
as well. Or least point you to someone one. Check also if there is a
music school nearby for stringed instruments. They definitely would
have a name or two.

Also, there's got to be a luthier school somewhere in Switzerland or
at the very least nearby - Italy or Germany.

Good luck!

Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking
Cathy Cowette

"Rick Maunder" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You should have seen my D-15 after I got thrown from a parade float. It had
an 18 inch crack along the bottom bout. I was just sick when I saw it, not
to mention I was bruised and scratched up.
I bought the guitar used for $400, and Martin wanted about the same to
repair it. Luckily, I have a luthier friend who sent some glue and told me
how to fix it. It turned out great, and the injury didn't hurt the sound at
all.
Eventually, the town I was playing in gave me the full price for the guitar,
and I put the money against an OM28V. It's a nice guitar, but given the
choice, I'd rather play the old D-15.
Good luck with yours.

Cathy
http://www.cathycowette.com

Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking
Geezer

[...]

Rick,

I see from your photos that you have taked the tension off of the strings.
That's good.
I would contact Martin and ask if there is a factory authorized repair
person in your area.

You have a nice clean split there. Its is feasible you could easily do it
yourself but I'd still look for a pro first.

Geezer

Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking
Misifus

Rick, if you bought the guitar new, it is under warranty from Martin.
If so, contact Martin. I expect they will send you to a local repair
facility. At any rate, give them the chance to stand by their product.

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

http://www.ralphandsue.com
Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

[...]

*****************************

Around these parts, all local musicians travel out of town about an hour to
take their busted and damaged instruments to a guy who has built an
excellent reputation in stringed instrument repairs and modifications.

Ask around, ther may be a similar type of fellow near where you live.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On 6 Apr 2006 12:19:45 -0700, "Rick Maunder"
wrote:

I have a much loved Martin D15

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/...php?p=m&m=D-15

which has 'developed' a major split in the headstock. You can see some
pics he

You might ask in rec.music.makers.builders if you haven't already.

Mike O.
Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking
Rob Morley

In article . com
Rick Maunder wrote:
Hi,

I have a much loved Martin D15

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/...php?p=m&m=D-15

which has 'developed' a major split in the headstock. You can see some
pics he

http://www.richardmaunder.com/D15/

I'm not sure how this happened - the split isn't visible on the tuning
face. I only realised something was wrong when the guitar wouldn't hold
tune. Most likely it got knocked over by someone - though I can't see
any other signs of damage. It doesn't seen likely this could happen
spontaneously - the guitar is about 6 years old.

Anyway I would like to get it repaired and have a few questions......

If it was mine I'd take the tuners off, pull it apart completely[1],
remove any loose splinters[2] and glue it back together with thin wood
glue, clamp firmly and leave for a few days.

[1] While this may show at the front, it will make the repair stronger.

[2] Otherwise it might not go back together properly.
Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking
Bello

Don't do it yourself. Bring the guitar to a repairshop and they'll fix it
without seeing that is was cracked. I've don ethis with my 12 string and
they can fix these cracks quite easy.

Good luck.

[...]

Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking

Thanks for all the replies. I did contact Martin with the pics a while
back - they weren't very helpful - which was quite dissapointing - but
I guess this is their 'budget' guitar. The certainly weren't interested
in considering it might have been a weakness in the original material -
to quote:

"Please be advised, headstocks normally do not just crack.
Also, as this guitar was made in 1999 this type of occurrence
is not considered defective material workman ship or material."

They didn't have any recommended repairers or dealers nearby...just the
main dealer in Switzerland which is miles away (plus my German is
non-existant and French pretty bad - I need someone I can discuss face
to face....)

The crack does move - I noticed it at first as I was trying to tune the
guitar and the crack was (of course) just opening up. So I guess I (or
the repairer) could load the strings a bit to open the joint and insert
glue, and then release and clamp closed.

Anyway it doesn't sounds like it is a major job and if done right
should be as strong as new....?

While I'm a reasonably comptent woddworker I think I will leave it to a
pro - thanks for the tips on finding one.

Cheers

Rick

Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

wrote:

[...]

I did a similar repair on a guitar. The split was about the same.
The guitar that I fixed was an inexpensive youth size unit, so I felt
nothing ventured, nothing gained. I don't know if I would have
attempted it myself on a Martin.

Mine broke cleanly so I, glued it ( is used epoxy, but today I would
probably use hide glue) and cross pinned it with two dowels (1/4"
maple). Fixed it about twelve years ago, and it has been through two
sons and continues to play and hold tune fine. In fact, because it is
small, the boys used it as a traveler, so it gets fairly rough
treatment.

Frank
Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking
Matt Hayden

There are a number of ways to repair a crack on a headstock. Frank
Ford's site, http://www.frets.com, shows several (look at the big index
page). He usually uses hot hide glue rather than aliphatic resin glue
(e.g., white woodworker's glue) as hide glue doesn't creep. For this
kind of a break, he has in the past done 'backstrap' overlays of
mahogany which run long-grain mahogany past the crack. It's not simple
but it offers great strength and durability post-repair.

mh

Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking
Norman Draper

Rick Maunder wrote:
Hi,

I have a much loved Martin D15

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/...php?p=m&m=D-15

which has 'developed' a major split in the headstock. You can see some
pics he

http://www.richardmaunder.com/D15/

I'm not sure how this happened - the split isn't visible on the tuning
face. I only realised something was wrong when the guitar wouldn't hold
tune. Most likely it got knocked over by someone - though I can't see
any other signs of damage. It doesn't seen likely this could happen
spontaneously - the guitar is about 6 years old.

Anyway I would like to get it repaired and have a few questions......

Rick,

What you have is one of the most common cases of headstock damage... so
common it has its own name: airline break, so named because it occurs
often when airline baggage handlers throw the case (and, obviously,
guitar) around. It doesn't take a direct blow to the headstock; it's a
result of the torque of the collision between the case and whatever
stops it. A friend with a DM had the same thing occur and the guitar
tech looked at it and called it for what it was in a heartbeat. The
break in NOT coverd by the Martin guarantee.

The repair is simple for a qualified person. You really have to look
for the repair on my friend's guitar. It's close to invisible. If I
were in your position, I'd take it to a good repair person and let him
or her have at it. I don't recall the price of the repair, but I
believe it was under $100.

Norman (It Really Ain't That Bad) Draper

Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking

Sounds reasonable - though how it happened I still not sure. I must
confess it had been out of case stood against a wall - but it couldn't
have fallen very far as it was in a corner next to a sofa. Our cleaner
might have knocked it over and not told me....

As the thing had been fine for 5 years I can't really blame Martin for
not covering this sort of problem. I did think they could have been
more helpful about how to get it repaired, if was feasible etc....

Thanks anyway

Rick

Posted to uk.music.guitar,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.woodworking
Rob Morley

In article .com
wrote:
Sounds reasonable - though how it happened I still not sure. I must
confess it had been out of case stood against a wall - but it couldn't
have fallen very far as it was in a corner next to a sofa. Our cleaner
might have knocked it over and not told me....

Sofa gets shoved over, jams headstock against wall, sofa gets replaced,
nobody notices ...

GE refrigerator warranty repair misery [email protected] Home Ownership 6 March 13th 05 04:29 AM
How to repair an UFO? Adam Ben Nalois Electronics Repair 27 January 18th 04 03:37 AM
Wall Repair Advice ripper UK diy 3 January 12th 04 08:47 AM
Freezer - what to check before resorting to repair man - advice needed Nigel UK diy 1 September 10th 03 10:48 PM