ripper

Default Wall Repair Advice

I am about to re-tile my shower cubicle and had to remove old ceramic tiles.
With the tiles removed some of the old plaster has came away exposing the
inner cement wall. The old plaster was nothing more than a scim of amout 2
to 4 mm deep. I want to fill up the voids where the cement wall is exposed
so that I have a smooth wall to work with, before applying the tile adhesive
for the new tiles.
What would be best way to do this? I am considering:
1. Re-plaster scim.
2. Fill the voids with Polyfilla or such like.
3. Fill the voids with tile grout and level & smooth off.

TIA

BigWallop

"ripper" wrote in message
I am about to re-tile my shower cubicle and had to remove old ceramic

tiles.
With the tiles removed some of the old plaster has came away exposing the
inner cement wall. The old plaster was nothing more than a scim of amout 2
to 4 mm deep. I want to fill up the voids where the cement wall is exposed
so that I have a smooth wall to work with, before applying the tile

adhesive
for the new tiles.
What would be best way to do this? I am considering:
1. Re-plaster scim.
2. Fill the voids with Polyfilla or such like.
3. Fill the voids with tile grout and level & smooth off.

TIA

I would go for removing all the old plaster if the walls underneath are
truly solid concrete. After fitting the new shower tray and all the
associated bits and pieces I'd then use the technique of sticking
plasterboard to the wall with dabs of bonding plaster, not to thick a mix,
just enough that it sticks to the wall and can be compressed between the
plasterboard and the wall to hold the boards securely.

This will make the wall hang over the shower tray so that any water will run
off directly into the tray better. It will give you nice smooth walls that
will take the tiles with a thinner layer of adhesive and so make a saving on
the amount you need to buy. And it will make the whole job just that bit
easier to do. The 10mm thin plasterboard is enough to stick the tiles to,
and if you decide to change everything in years to come, then all you need
do is pull the whole lot off the wall and use the same method to change to
the new scheme you pick.

Patching the walls and trying to stick tiles over it, especially when you
don't know if the rest of the surrounding plaster still has a perfect grip
on the wall, is a real nightmare, believe me I've been there. So my advice
is to spend a little more on getting some bonding plaster and some sheets of
10mm plasterboard, and make a great job rather then just a good one.

Good luck with it, and have a good new year in your new shower as well.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Michael McNeil

"ripper" wrote in message

1. Re-plaster scim.
2. Fill the voids with Polyfilla or such like.
3. Fill the voids with tile grout and level & smooth off.

Just put more adhesive on the bits with the missing plaster. It's not
unusual to lose a few bits of wall when removing tiles. Don't worry
about it.

PoP

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 07:46:48 +0000 (UTC), "Michael McNeil"
wrote:

Just put more adhesive on the bits with the missing plaster. It's not
unusual to lose a few bits of wall when removing tiles. Don't worry
about it.

I agree with that. Providing that the tile is held to the wall
securely by an average depth of no more than 1-3mm it'll be fine. The
tile adhesive can suffice as a filler for small areas which aren't
greater than about 3mm depth.

PoP

If you really must use the email address provided
with my newsreader please be aware that the email
is processed with spamcop. As a result your email
to me might be treated as spam!